LOWER BACK PAIN RELIEF FROM DIGGING- SUGGESTIONS?

olprofessor

Jan 14, 2015
Northridge, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

GittyRivers

Aug 2, 2013
Grants Pass Oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter tracker IV, and now Bounty Hunter Gold Digger and Bounty Hunter PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A heating pad is helpful to me in eve when your resting just put on your lower back. Some people also ice for like 10 minute off and on I ice my shoulders and heat my back. Ha when everything that you have 2 of one hurts. Walking also good for back. Feel better soon [emoji2]

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Any others?

08085322198.JPG

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was T-Boned in a Jeep CJ7, my back became a corkscrew, and I was in constant pain, walking like a "V" man. The medical doctors all wanted to shoot me up with pain killing drugs, but the problem was obvious structure, and I reached the point where I could not walk, sit down, or lay down without constant pain.
I found a great chiropractor, who in 3 months, bit by bit, set my back straight, and the pain subsided, bit by bit.
Before then, I would drink myself to sleep just to pass out from the pain.
After he put me straight, I went to Garden of the Gods in Colorado, climbing boulders.
Find a good chiropractor, not the "put you on a program kind", it will relieve your pain.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Red James cash took my idea. I think moderate bed rest and down in Texas, a quart of tequila.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im sure most of us older MDers have occasional lower back (or any kind) pain. One of the Garrett books suggested stretches beforehand. But what about after you've hurt yourself or just plain sore? Motrin helps some..Any others?

LOL on stretches beforehand. in my opinion , I would need to take a Rest & nap after Stretching (Exercising )
Beforehand . Exercise where you don't get anything material out of it,
makes no sense at all to me. I call walking, digging and getting down and up all the stretching and exercise
a human being needs .

I've heard of businesses where they make their workers Exercise before they start their day.
If I worked at a Place like that, I'd take sick days immediately after I was done Exercising for them. Tell them I need a shower & nap :laughing7:
and of course sue if fired. if I was hired to work Not Exercise.
[ in the Immortal words of Woody Harrelson, "You ever see a lion limber up before it takes down a gazelle ?" ]

I don't get lower Back Pain. I do get upper back pain , But to me that just means time to call it a day :laughing7:

Now Off my soapbox : are you sure it is from Digging & not Swinging
for long periods between digs ? do you have a detecting Harness ?

the Detecting Buddy

$_1.JPG

or Swingy Thingy

frntskyhook.JPG

May help.

There are other Brands, But since these are the 2 I have and
use so I Can only vouch for them.

The "Buddy" works better then the Swingy Thingy When I have to wear Heavier
Tops Like Jacket, Coat, or Hoodie.

(the chest Strap on the Thingy is Tight and constricting with Heavy Clothes on,
I don't like adjusting straps, back & forth. )

The Swingy thingy when hunting with a T shirt.

I only get back pain when I do allot of Walking & swinging (Useless Exercise)
If I am in a spot where I am down digging as much as I'm up Swinging,
The rests I get while digging keep me comfortable.

Last edited:

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me, in my mid-50's, it's "early(?)" onset arthritis. Mostly in left thumb joint area.
It's not bad, but I'm a wuss for pain.. :) It's more annoying than anything else.

Aleve (Naproxen Sodium) works wonders for me, although as with all mediciations, I try to use them only when I feel it's necessary.
The brand name is pricey, but Costo & Walmart carry the generics, which are just as good in my opinion. I can't tell any difference.

I've been pretty lucky overall with backpain, but on somewhat rare occassion, I have used Doan's Pills - another NSAID (magnesium salicylate tetrahydrate).
These don't seem to be as popular now as they once were, so you might have to try places like CVS / Walgreens?
I also don't recall seeing this as generic - maybe it already is? It's a little more pricey compared to Aleve generics.
That said: I recall these worked amazingly well - but it's a small sample size for me as I'm not especially prone to backaches (at least not yet!!). :)

As always, check with your doctor first, etc. etc..
Booze doesn't really work for me. Stretching helps, but not that much frankly (for me).
It feels good to stretch while you're doing it, but the effect doesn't last.

I think the key to joint/muscle pain is to control the inflamation. NSAID's do that pretty effectively.

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
more diggin...once the pain goes away after is gets extreme to the point when its hard to stand i keep diggin...then i almost get a paralysis feeling...i should prolly get it checked out...but that detector buddy would prolly help!

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Find a beautiful gold ring....all the pain simply floats away!:icon_thumleft:

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Find a beautiful gold ring....all the pain simply floats away!:icon_thumleft:

I can't believe I didn't think of this!!
It's pure genius.

The only way to improve upon it would be to metal detect a 20-pound nugget and, in your excitement, carelessly drop it on your big toe.
That should make you forget all about that pesky lower back pain.

S

stefen

I use the KISS method...Keep It Simple Stupid...

Found that diggin caused back pain...so I stopped diggin...

Then it hit me...GRANDKIDS...

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Then it hit me...GRANDKIDS...

I use the same method. I hand 'em both a pinpointer and a shovel. While one is digging one hole, I'm finding the next hole for the one not digging.

Got to keep it moving along....

I'm also teaching them about adulthood and the government. I keep the coins, they keep the pull tabs.

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try a lifting belt? Maybe?

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im sure most of us older MDers have occasional lower back (or any kind) pain. One of the Garrett books suggested stretches beforehand. But what about after you've hurt yourself or just plain sore? Motrin helps some..Any others?
just slow down. Oh and remember Jeff of PA is very old listen to him. 8-)

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Strengthen your back muscles. Find some exercises that work the lower back muscles.
I pulled a ligament in my lower back 20 something years ago which led to lower back pain ever since. However, I started working out at a gym about a year ago and I don't get the pain anymore. And... I don't go all crazy with it. I go a few times a week one week, then may only go once or even skip the next week.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have arthritis, and I do in my right hand, try wearing a magnetic bracelet. I would never have bought one, but was given one, and why ever, it works for me. Takes most of the pain away and I can now make a fist when I wake up. Have told other people about it, and most of them have had some success with them. Might take a day or two to see results, and it might not work for you, but Walmart sells them for around 5.00. That's pretty cheap if it works for you. Like I said, have no idea why it works, but for me it did.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Cannabis! CA has medical for almost any condition & will likely be voted legal for all 11/16. It kills nobody and helps hundreds of
medical conditions, according to researchers independent of govt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions