Lower Baldwin county

tomw

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2007
Foley Alabama
Detector(s) used
White
I’m going to break Silence and Taboo all in one shoot here. First let me introduce myself I’m a 43yr male from the Foley area (lower Baldwin county al) I work six and seven days a week just to make ends meet. I am also a Diver and fascinated with our county History.

For a few years now I have been chasing a lot of dead end leads on a few of our relics of the past. First being the Whiskey Wreck or Mail Barge as some call it and not to far down the beach just west lays the Paddle-wheeler My main interest of the wrecks. NOAA calls it the Miami but History books put this blockade runner sunk many hundreds of miles away. I do love the Civil War.

All this being said brings me to the Subject of what would be Taboo from some of my Silverhills friends. Discussing MD sites. My area of interest is in the Bon Secour area Camp Anderson and the Salt works. History tells us Camp Anderson was placed the to help guard the Works from evading Forces. I understand the Works was just inside the Bon Secour bay on the North side and across the bay to the South lays another with Camp Anderson in the middle. Now not far down the Bat towards the Fort is Navy Cove A Brigade landed here and traveled around the Eastern Shore just to the east of once again Bon Secour and as many may know there has always been plenty of underbrush and swamps to deal with in the area..

Which bring me to my point. History of the area has said there was only one road into Bon Secour and one way out. This path is the one I’m trying to find. Somewhere has to lay a road or path that connects Camp Anderson with the Pickets on the moth of Fish River and on up to Fort Blakely. I did find a field just off County rd 32 close to Fish River where in just a short time and only working the backside of the field yielded several bullets and button backs. As soon as the Farmer works this field up I’m planning on spending a day there.

I know it is a long shot asking this, but can anyone hlp me out with any information on the above?

Tom

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
Tom,

If you read the Campaign of Mobile you can get a pretty good insight to the troop movement. When the Union troops camped, the camp itself was well over 4 miles in length. I have found stuff as far east as almost to County Road 9 and also off of 32. Most don't discuss the details here as it has become increasing difficult to get landowners permission to hunt spots. Any place close to the water like the salt works is prime condo land so they want no one looking around. Luckily I know some guys who are willing to share info as I have been open to sharing my knowledge and hunts.

The paddleboat is a great wreck especially since you can walk from the beach to dive it.

MichaelB
Silverhill, AL

Attachments

• camp anderson map.jpg
    camp anderson map.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 904
  • Dannely\'s Mill.jpg
    Dannely\'s Mill.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 767
OP
OP
T

tomw

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2007
Foley Alabama
Detector(s) used
White
Hello MichaelB

In my trade I have been able to meet a lot of owners and know most of the Developers from Orange Beach to the upper Tennasaw (spelling) I sit on 84 acres of land here in Bon Scour just off cr 65. One of my friends Skipper of Skipper reality is developing a few tracks of land up there on fish river close to the old landing. Getting permission want be much of a problem. I just have been doing some homework before I do the foot pounding.

Speaking of which the old Nelson home place just on the east side of the 98 fish river bridge (another friend Dub Nelson) Do you think it would be worth the time to check it out? As I recall from reading there was a picket on the west side there about where the confederate boys watched over the river

In your first photo here it shows Camp Anderson there on Flash point if you look directly across from the “R” in Anderson in the photo just across the channel is Jimmy Nelsons Marina He owns about twenty acres along that canal and across cr 6 any thoughts on that area?

Yes the Paddle boat is a great dive it is uncovered more this year than I ever remember one of the wheels is completely out of the sand now. The Whiskey wreck down behind Bahama Bobs showed a lot of relief this summer but is now covering pretty quickly

I loaned my copy of the book out to some old boys up in Silverhills about a year ago and they have yet to return it lesson learned I guess. I seen on your Myspace you seem to be into the enactments at the Forts You might know my Brother in law Paul Kostolecky I guess that’s how he spells it he always performed at the Fort Morgan one

Tom

MichaelB said:
Tom,

If you read the Campaign of Mobile you can get a pretty good insight to the troop movement. When the Union troops camped, the camp itself was well over 4 miles in length. I have found stuff as far east as almost to County Road 9 and also off of 32. Most don't discuss the details here as it has become increasing difficult to get landowners permission to hunt spots. Any place close to the water like the salt works is prime condo land so they want no one looking around. Luckily I know some guys who are willing to share info as I have been open to sharing my knowledge and hunts.

The paddleboat is a great wreck especially since you can walk from the beach to dive it.

MichaelB
Silverhill, AL

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
That high ground on 98 is a perfect spot forthe Comfederates but I have never heard of anyone finding anything. When they built the new bridgeI checked around everything as they started clearing stuff but it was hard because of all of the metal from the hurricanes. I have been told there are 7 wells that on the west side of fish river that are prime campsite areas but that the landowners will not let anyone in.

Good Luck,

MichaelB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread