Lowrance jumps into Side Scanning

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Yep...in case you haven't already heard, Lowrance has produce a new side scanning unit called StructureScan.

Here's an intro video of it I found on Youtube.

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Still no sign of it on the official Lowrance site. A buddy of mine met a Lowrance rep who suggested he do a search on YouTube for the video I linked. Apparently, it's currently being developed as a add-in module to their HDS head units.

Pcola

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks Pcola. I was waiting for someone else to offer a competative product to Humminbird. Maybe now the prices will come down!

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Don't hold your breath! The Lowrance HDS series is just as expensive as the Humminbird SI units even without the Structure Scan add-on. So with the add-on, these units will be even higher priced than the Humminbird Units.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Bob, how much does Humminbird pay you?

OP
OP
pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
According to the rep my friend talked to, the StructureScan module will run $699 or so including a transom-mount transducer. The Humminbird unit I (and RGecy) has works awesome for what I need, but in my experience Humminbird's customer support and available add-ons simply cannot compete with a powerhouse such as Lowrance.

Competition is always good in my humble opinion but clearly there will still be an advantage in Humminbird's corner in terms of overall costs until Lowrance offers an all-in-one unit with the side scanning built-in.

Pcola

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Salvor6 said:
Hey Bob, how much does Humminbird pay you?
Pete, I wish they did for all the publicity I have given them!

I agree that competition will only improve both products.

The Lowrance does have one feature I like; the ability to scroll back through the history, even if it has passed off the screen, and mark a waypoint without losing any data.

RGecy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread