Luck does prove to be a big part.... Great day with good friends...

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Met up with Hockeyfan and Snooksion at a spot that see's a lot of boat partying... Absolutely beautiful morning, not a ripple on the water. When we first got there (by canoe), there was not a single boat and it took a little paddling to find the submerged sandbar..
Anchored up and soon all three of us were scouring the area. I try so hard to not let society ruin such a fun hobby, but my God, what is wrong with people. Is it so hard to keep a trash bag in your boat for pete's sake? The bottom was literally covered with bottle caps and a lot of cans also.. I bet you couldnt go a foot without hitting a bottle cap, and you could literally "see" the boat sitting there by the circle of bottle caps found where they were parked. It is very sad.
Anyway, Dave and Mark worked their way south, and within an hour the boats started showing up and anchoring.. We were all hitting on some coins, not a lot, but enough to keep interest and hopes high that there just had to be gold lying in wait. This is the same spot Dave and I hit the last time we went and he found that beautiful spinner..
Soon, the boats were getting thick, and I couldnt see the canoe anymore.. I just didnt feel good about not being able to keep en eye on our stuff, so I went over to where it was to pull anchor and move it closer to me.. Now this is where the notion that luck plays a big part in our hobby comes in... Some members have blasted my idea that luck and not just skill is what gets people the good stuff.. Today my theory was strengthened a bit more....
As I am pulling the canoe over to the area I wanted to hunt, Mark saw me and started coming over to either see if I was wanting to leave, or needed help... Anyway, as I am "setting" the anchor we are chatting about what we are finding.. Dave had found a cheap watch, and we all were finding some clad.. The tide had started going out, and it is like hunting in a moderate river current when it is changing.. Okay, back to hunting... I turned slightly left and started a line in about waist deep water. I had picked this area since it had a pretty good hard bottom, and it was also, I thought, where a lot of boats would park so that people could jump/dive off the end of the boat, the drop off to deeper water was about perfect.. Mark started hunting it too, and I hadnt gone 10 ft when I heard him let out a "yeeeah"... I turned, and he was holding a ring.. I walked over to him to get a closer look, and he was literally 4 stinking feet from where I had buried the anchor, and two feet to the right of where I started my line... Now if that isnt luck, I dont know what it is... Very nice, heavy gold ring... I never did think to ask him later what it was, but it looked like at least 18k and maybe even 22k... Had a lot of inscription stuff on the inside. Beautiful ring..
We continued to hunt until about noon, but no more jewelry.. Dave found a nice Seiko that was still running, but did have some pretty good corrosion on it.. Might clean up okay, not sure on that..
The pic of Mark holding his treasures are from his 3 previous days of finds, and the one ring found that day... Looks pretty nice in his hand for sure.. Later, in that area, I found a big "dog tag" type pendant that was really heavy and shiny silver, but stamped "Stainless Steel"... It was inscribed with "Happy 1st Oleg, Love Tara".... I had to wish quietly in my mind that Tara was filthy rich and I was holding an inscribed Platinum ingot, but oh well, it wasnt another bottle cap.. That was my best find of the morning. My clad total was $2.29.. Havent found out what Mark and Daves totals were..
We tried to hit a main beach later, but being early afternoon on a Saturday made that about impossible.. Parking could not be found unless you wanted to pay a flat $15, and I wasnt about to do that for just a couple of hours. I was tired and my back was beginning to really hurt, so I decided to just start my 3 hr drive home a little early.. I would have liked to hunt that area a few more hours, but Mark was worried about his Parrot in the van..
The pictures didnt turn out the best. My camera was in the compartment on top of my cooler, so it kept fogging up in the warm outdoors..
All in all a great day with a couple really good guys.. Man, these two really do know what they are doing, but it goes to show you that sometimes, it is a matter of a couple feet..

HH All!

Attachments

• 08_21_10 hunting Dave.jpg
    08_21_10 hunting Dave.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 561
  • hunting 08_21_10.jpg
    hunting 08_21_10.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 550
  • hunting 08_21_10 c.jpg
    hunting 08_21_10 c.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 549
  • hunting 08_21_10 b.jpg
    hunting 08_21_10 b.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 543
  • 08_21_10 happy Mark.jpg
    08_21_10 happy Mark.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 557
  • hunting 08_21_10 d.jpg
    hunting 08_21_10 d.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 553
  • hunting 08_21_10 Marks finds.jpg
    hunting 08_21_10 Marks finds.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 545
Upvote 0

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Looks like Mark hit the jackpot, nice rings. That is one beautiful area you guys hunt, the water is very clear. I know what you mean about all the trash, I've seen it myself, people just don't care. The only good thing about the cans is that the saltwater will eventually eat them away. Atleast you guys got to go hunt, hope you find some gold next time and yea, luck has alot to do with it. HH

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to hunt in calm waters like that.. you lucky dogs.. excellent finds too I might add.

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
WTG GUYS!

I get upset sometimes about all the garbage I find in the water and on the beachs too. I've even found baby diapers and it was found not 5 feet from the garbage can! I just do not understand some people. I overheard some people talking one time down at CWB about how dirty the beach was and they clean that beach every day! As for the water.... well I guess it is much easier to toss a can over the side of a boat than put it in a bag and dump later in a can when they dock. People want to swim and play in beautiful clear water but just don't realize that EVERYONE has to work to keep it that way!

OK I'm off my soap box. WTG on the finds. It sounds like a good place to hunt.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Luck: true. Sometimes all it takes is 2 feet away.

In the meantime, while you're trying to find to correct 2 feet, thanks for cleaning the water of all that trash. I think the gold shows up much nicer if ALL the pulltabs, cans, and boater trash is out of the area.

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No lying about the "2 ft" remark... I was doing lines yesterday and dragging my scoop... Really showed up well and I actually thought I was keeping the lines close enough to overlab a bit.. Tired of the area, I started going south of the section I had just worked, going cross-grain to my drag marks, and found a small pocket spill about a foot from my scoop drag mark... I couldnt believe I had missed it... Could have just as easily been a ring..

Burning Metal

Dec 6, 2008
Tampa Bay area Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Looks like a great spot to detect! I know exactly what you mean about the trash...I detect for a couple hrs pretty much every week at Lido Beach, haven't had much luck as I hunt only the dry sand. It makes me sick to see the area in front of the hotels absolutely littered with trash! Looks like about every night someone parties on the beach and leaves plastic cups, water bottles and such all over the place...and only a short distance from the trash cans!

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work...I have a place here like that but haven't had a chance to get out there yet... :thumbsup:

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a
Nice gold finds!.....It's always nice to see some action shots.....we don't see enough of these types of pics on the forums....Good to see that more folks are getting the waterproof cameras and getting them out in the field with them.....Great job SS!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread