Lucky Strike! Tokens, Coins, In a Box

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
A friend directed me to a "way back in the hills" site where he had dug bottles as a youngster. No real evidence of structures left, but found the old diggins. Dug a few rusty cans and nails so went to disc. and almost passed by this find because it "popped" like old rust. but easy shovel digging here so turned up this. The can is a cigarett box from late 30's early 40's and contained the following coins which I thought were much greater before soaking and toothbrushing.
3 Washington state sales tax tokens - one is dated 1935
1 U.S.A Filipinas one centavo coin 1944. The United States Of America side gives you a start when it appears through the dirt.
1 U.S.A. Filipinas One centavo coin 1926. Needs more soaking.
1 1940 Deuitehes{unsure} Reich with eagle and swastika, other side vague with what looks like a large
Numeral 1. It's a little smaller than a dime.
1 Buffalo Nickle..date gone as usual.
My guess is it was a childs stash of coins etc. Some that were brought back by a WW2 soldier. Other scenarios welcome.

Attachments

• LS BOX @2.jpg
    LS BOX @2.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 613
  • coins obverse.jpg
    coins obverse.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 604
Upvote 0

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Very cool find.

Did you shake it and hear anything before opening it.

How surprized where you.

HH Jer

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
The coin with the "1" on it is a German phennig (sp?). Like our penny. They still use them today, I believe.

-Noodle

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find,,, love to hear stories of cache's....

God bless
Peter

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Nice cache. Glad to hear peps still finding caches hiding around. I have a strong feelin some are hiding here in my leg of the country.

Congratulations,

Postalrevnant

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Thats a great find, your guess sounds on the money I was thinking the same thing before I finished reading your post.

kenb

S

sounder

I'll bet that old box gave you a faster heartbeat when you saw all those "coins" inside.

Cool find!!!

sounder

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome little coin cache you found! That is a German 1 Pfennig coin, yours is made of zinc, they don't hold up in the dirt, the same coin was also minted in copper. HH, Mike

OP
OP
silverswede

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Thanks for all the nice responses you all. Jerdfx on whether they rattled in the box and was I exited. I have to admit in thinking it was a rusty can I popped the lid open with the shovel and the coins spilled back in the hole. The exitement was when the first one I examined was the american side of the 1926 filipeno, (see picture) I thought I had found a large cent or gold coin. Before you get the dirt off the thrill is greatest I guess.

Attachments

• 000_1494.jpg
    000_1494.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 354

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread