Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Luftwaffe.jpg

I recently bought an original WWII ET62 M40 shell that was used postwar by the Czechoslovakians, for a restoration project. It was most likely a Luftwaffe helmet according to lot number research. It was originally black, so I stripped the paint off with some acetone. No original paint or decals were under the Czech paint. After all the paint was gone, I sprayed the shell with Feldgrau Dunkel from 1944 Militaria. The purists might be screaming at me for that, but I don't care. I've seen plenty of pictures on the net of Luftwaffe helmets that look grey/dark grey with no hint of blue on them. So there. :)

After a few coats, I applied the decal, also from 1944 militaria. It was simple and easy to put on, apart from a mistake on my part. (I tore a teeny tiny piece of the wing off at the tip - that happened on real helmets from time to time). Next came the liner. I'm glad I decided not to film it all, because I was cussing the liner out for all it was worth. I cut my fingers up on the aluminum, and couldn't get the split pins on to save my life. After half an hour (and the wars end) I got them on, and voila - wait... that's french - presto! Mint unissued Luftwaffe M40 Helmet.

I have not decided if I want to perhaps sell it as a repro, trade it for something, or keep it and paint my last name on the inner rim yet.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Purists be damned that's a nice resto!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread