M & M Mining the Northern Sierras

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Yup, thanks Mike for the great weekend...
But it didn't start out great...trying to get out of Sac town at 1:30 Friday afternoon on Memorial weekend was not the brightest thing I have ever done. All of west cali was headed east up I-80 to Donner summit, Tourist Trap Truckee, and Reno Nv.
Wall to wall traffic all the way to 89 North. The old girl doesn't like those upgrades, stuck behind semis going 25-35 mph in that heat as she cant get no air to cool down, and vapor locked on me twice. Those you just have wait out till your gas turns back into liquid and start again. But yea the Party started once we got there, at least for us. :hello2:

The Old Girl.
IMG_3073.JPG

Mike P.
IMG_3088.JPG

Last edited:

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You froze the beer cooler to the kitchen floor?! Damn Mike lol. Wish I could have been there. Looks like a blast. I will be cashing in my raincheck lol.

OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As much as I hate to admit, I tried to fix a radiator leak on my truck with some stop leak. Well, it plugged everything up and blew the head gasket, and warped the head too. My mining season has been put on hold due to lack of wheels. But with help from Hefty and his brother (though not in person) repairs are nearly complete. If all goes well, I'll be back on the road tomorrow, back to work on Wednesday, and back to mining in a few weeks.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hefty1, it is good to see you out playing with good folks!..............63bkpkr

OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to Hefty and all my other "Moral support" friends, I'm mobile again. Oh Lordy, you don't know how I felt when this POS fired up. I cried. Too long without work or diggin... Time to turn this season around...

OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a LOT of beer drank in this process. Even more frustration. I spent more time trying to find what wrench works best: 3/8ths or 7/16ths? I don't read Japanese very well. It's done though. It took too long as I'm not a mechanic, and had no physical help. I'm proud that I did it, but NEVER want to do it again.

OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be back to work soon, but mining season is on hold. At this rate, I may be doing a mini-series in the winter....

OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'm at least back to work but the season is likely a wash. I took the first job offered (at least temporarily), and it doesn't pay the bills. Interviewing today for a position that pays better, but still $3.00 an hour less than I'm used to making. It's tough going from an early morning person to a night owl. But it is what it is. We'll see if I can get out Labor Day weekend if anybody is interested in a mining/camping trip.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry we do not allow links to other forums.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for removing the political statement. IT is appreciated, but removal of my posts are not. Those that wish to follow me can PM me.

OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Managed part of the Labor Day weekend off and needed some much needed R & R/diggin' therapy after a grueling 60 hour week. After too many Monsters (at work and the drive to the claim) it was time to change flavors. Rockguy was already at the claim and digging when I arrived. So, it was all about a few Millers while building camp.
DSCF1313.JPG DSCF1314.JPG
Mike had put up some new signage at the claim
DSCF1315.JPG
Early warning system needs a barker starter
DSCF1316.JPG DSCF1317.JPG
Looking around the old miner's cabin:
DSCF1318.JPG DSCF1319.JPG
Sunday morning beer run to Quincy (Mike has to turn the Jeep around and park it)
DSCF1320.JPG DSCF1321.JPG
DSCF1322.JPG
Working the Meat:
DSCF1323.JPG
DSCF1324.JPG DSCF1325.JPG
DSCF1326.JPG DSCF1327.JPG
The Supervisor:
DSCF1328.JPG
One of many Sunday cleanouts:
DSCF1330.JPG
More of the creek:
DSCF1331.JPG DSCF1332.JPG
DSCF1333.JPG
Final drying and total for the weekend Monday morning. .96 grams:
DSCF1334.JPG
DSCF1335.JPG DSCF1336.JPG
My mining season is just getting started after losing all of summer due to life's BS.

Video of a mining work in process:

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2017 chapter for M&M mining is near. With the storms so far this winter, Meat Creek has got to be movin' good. I'll be shooting for an early start this season to make up for last year. If the weather cooperates, I'm planning to start mid-March and hit the claim every weekend from then to November. There will be some equipment modifications, and additions this season. More on that as they happen. It's gonna be a great gold year!!

OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More good news to start the year: After seven months working through a temp agency, Southwin, LTD. has decided I'm worth keeping. I've gone to permanent employee status. My new capacity is machine operator, maintaining the flow of plastic gallon bottles that will be filled with RainX, Super Tech, and many other brands of windshield washer fluid. Keep me employed, buy RainX. As the next winter blast moves into the Northern Sierras, I'm planning a day trip to the claim to check it out in the next couple weeks. Then I'll be prepping the chain saw, generator, and pump motors in advance of my planned extended season.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love RainX! Glad your doing well Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shoot me a text this weekend Erik. Planning a non-mining (well, hands and pans) day trip to the claim at the end of the month to check out flows and road conditions. You still have an uncashed rain(X)check.

OP
OP
M

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far, Mother nature ain't playin' fair. But the gold is on the move. We know it's in Meat Creek and maybe some more has moved in. Time will tell if I can get to the claim. Still planning for at least a day trip before Easter Sunday, then depending on the weather, I may decide on a weekend camping/mining trip, or just a Sunday day trip. Either way, I'm going Easter. Even if it rains I'm still doing a day trip at least.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread