Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fellow T'Netters, I need your advice again.

Today I made a coin garden consisting of a penny, nickel, dime, and a quarter. I started out with the quarter. Buried it at about 3 inches, no problem. Moved it to 4 inches, no problem again. I moved it to 5 inches and the signal was barely there :o I then moved it to 6 inches and got absolutely nothing. Not even a reading on the display. AHHHH!! I'm using the stock coil with the SENS at the factory recommended setting and the discrimination set to 1. Also, I just replaced the batteries and I'm in the single tone mode with the auto track set to OFF.

I swear I'm finding every metal object in the ground between 0" and 4". Now I guess this explains why I'm not finding anything deeper. The only think I have ever found at deeper than 4" was a Wheatie and that was the first week I got my detector.

Anyone have any advice? :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Have you tried manually ground-balancing the machine? That can get you more depth.

Joe

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
I generally keep mine at the two triangles. Once in a while I turn up the sens. If I'm in a steel tot lot I sometimes turn the sens down. I use the stock coil too. I have the 4X6 one but have never been impressed with it.

I have been finding stuff deeper than 4 inches...5 or 6 inches doesn't appear to be a problem. I noticed yesterday that on some of the deeper targets the beep was not very sharp but I dug them anyway...just in case they were for real. It turned out they were real. I attributed the faintness of the beep to the fact that mine is down to 10 volts. I've noticed that when the batteries get down there things get a little iffy.

When I remember to, I try to ground balance as soon as I turn it on. If I'm in a tot lot I set the coil on the wood chips or sand or stones before I even turn it on...then I pump it a couple times. In the grassy areas I turn it on and balance it as soon as I hit the grass.

Once you get used to the M6 I think you will like it. I have an Ace 250 for backup but I seldom pick it over the M6. I use the Bullseye II pinpointer and it works great for me.

Feel free to PM me anytime. I haven't been on a lot but I do check in often to see what's going on.

R

RUDY2003

I am constantly diggin' 8 to 10 inches with great tones on my M6.
My procedure is (I got this tip from a buddy on the Whites' Forum site),
1) Machine off, set ground balance off.
2) Set Discrimination halfway between 0 and the first preset
3) Set Sensitivity to Factory Preset Arrow
4) Holding coil on the ground, Turn On Machine
5) Pump coil up and down 3 to 4 times *OVER A CLEAN SPOT"
6) Holding the coil on the ground, Set Ground Balance to "Locked"
7) Slightly adjust Discrimination.....
8) Start swingin...
I have found that this greatly increases depth and target ID with the stock or 4x6 coil..

Give it a try and see....

Rudy

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Yes this technique works the best!!! Check out the Whites forum on TNET for more helpful hints. I used this set up and it works great, although I've yet to dig real deep. The M6 seems to be a great machine good luck

Greg

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freshly buried coins do not read well on any machine.. There is a lot of theories halo and soil compactness.. This is normal and if you check the coin garden after a year or two it will sound off clear..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread