M6 vs ......?

Pikeslumber

Greenie
Feb 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to MDing and have a M6 for my first detector. I have read that the 6 x 10 coil will help out a lot with trashy areas and be just as deep. I have some extra money to play with and wondering about a few machines I've found for sale I can afford. I like the M6 but would like to try something else as well, preferably something that has more adjustments that I can grow with. I know I have some learning to do on the M6 but having 2 detectors won't hurt I don't believe.
I have found a Minelab 2, Makro Racer 2, and a Fisher 75 in my price range. I would like to get a second machine but I want something that is a step up and not back.
I know the Minelab is older than the Makro and Fisher but I've read it was a beast but the Makro is faster? I'm looking for hopefully a little better depth and id hunting coins in decent soil and beach a few times a year. Any owners that have run these machines and have any thoughts or opinions? Thanks

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woah woah... slow down, man! You're new to detecting and you have a great machine in the M6. Why don't you just learn to detect first? You're WAY overthinking this. Go out, learn your machine, DECIDE if you even like detecting, THEN worry about additional gear. There's no need for it right now. Learn your machine!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
m6 is a very capable machine, learn that thing inside and out first. Then upgrade

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Both DiamondDan and Tpmetal are correct. :occasion14:

I do love my Minelab Explorer 2 for deep coin shooting. :dontknow:

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
I would put an Eclipse 5.3 on that bad boy. You will be surprised at the depth, and target separation with a 6" concentric coil.

Like the others said. Get to know what you have there before throwing money at another machine. Pay attention to the audio with quality headphones as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread