MA dredge rules.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's almost all private land so you'll need owner permission. Then there's the fact that there isn't much flow so I hope you don't plan to use a floating dredge.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FunWithTreasure, when you say "Couch Brook" I'm assuming you mean the one that Google Maps calls Couch Brook. (I say this because I've heard different names for the two streams along Couch Brook and Keets Brook roads. Somehow there's a Shattuck Brook mixed in there).

There used to be a nice quiet place along Couch Brook that was not posted where some of us would peacefully pan or maybe run a small sluice. Then sometime this year someone came in there with a dredge and, as one of our fellow posters said, it now "looks like someone blew the place up." It made me sad.

As Kevin mentions, the rest of the Brook is posted.
I've researched the area a lot and I'm a dredge owner but I haven't found anywhere in western Mass where I could operate my dredge without seeking private landowner permission. There is one Wildlife Management Area called "Satan's Kingdom" that sits east of Bernardston, and I guess theoretically you could possibly dredge on that public land. As far as I know Mass. has not created any laws against dredging...yet. My worry is that if people illegally dredge or annoy landowners Mass. very well might create a law about dredging.
I've personally never checked out the streams that appear to flow through that WMA on Google Earth. If you do check that out please let me know (post on here or PM).

With my dredge I've chosen to drive the extra 2 hours up to New Hampshire this year. The gold is better up there too.

- Brian

OP
OP
FunWithTreasure

FunWithTreasure

Oct 12, 2008
Ya I plan to hit NH too. But the only place I know there is twin rivers and I don't wanna pay $32 a day to camp in a tent.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FunWithTreasure, I feel like Twin River Campground had a day-use fee for people who aren't camping there; you might want to call them and ask. (I may be confusing them with Lucky Strike down in North Carolina...). Up in NH I've only ever dredged their "mile of riverfront" along the Wild AM, but this is my first year with my dredge. I live in New Jersey so I either have to drive to NH (5.5 hours) or Virginia (5.5 hours). Ugh...
Good luck!

- Brian

E.MassAuMan

Nov 21, 2012
Marlborough, Mass
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you want to dredge you should try the larger bodies of water like the Green River which is in the general 'Couch Brook' area and do yourself and your fellow prospectors and stay off of the Streams and Brooks.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you want to dredge you should try the larger bodies of water like the Green River which is in the general 'Couch Brook' area and do yourself and your fellow prospectors and stay off of the Streams and Brooks.

This is a GREAT IDEA. Start just at the confluence of Couch Brook and the Green River. I looked at that spot with gold lust in my eye several times. A dredge would be just the trick there!!

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kevin, when you looked at that spot longingly did you also check out who might own the property...? That spot is only 3.5 hours from my house - much closer than NH or VA.

- Brian

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin, when you looked at that spot longingly did you also check out who might own the property...? That spot is only 3.5 hours from my house - much closer than NH or VA.

- Brian

No, sorry Brian, I didn't look further into it. I hope you do!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread