MA Loses $4-6M Per Year Thanks to Fraudulent Recycling

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
MA Loses $4-6M Per Year Thanks to Fraudulent Recycling

The state of Massachusetts is experiencing millions of dollars in loss thanks to entrepreneurial can and bottle collectors from other states carpetbagging in their wares to turn them in for $0.05 a piece. According to CBS Local Boston, trucks from Rhode Island are traveling into Massachusetts loaded up with bottles and cans, which bring no return in Rhode Island, and handing them over for cash in the Bay State. According to environmental consultant Kevin Dietly of Northbridge Environmental in Westford, “We estimate that something like 6-8% of all returns that come back each year are fraudulent. That probably costs the commonwealth between four and six million dollars a year.”

It can cost $25,000 for illegal redemptions. Gregg Cooper of the recycling programs at the Department of Environment Protection says, “The distributors need to be actively involved in identifying their products, such as putting an extended bar code on their containers to make sure reverse vending machines do not read out of state containers.”

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rickv14623

Dec 24, 2012
upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keeps them out of peoples yards and off the side of the road

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bet it didn't take 16 years of education to figure this scam out. ain't America great!!

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
should be easy to see trucks with Rhode Island license plates loaded with bottles and cans though. Is it like South of the Border for recycling with the cheezy billboards every mile before the place.

"Chili today, Hot Tamale, turn in your aluminum at Joe Hollies" or sumpin like that?

You would think that the NSA would be able to track those trucks with drones before they crossed the state border though.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SO what is the big deal , George and Kramer thought that plan out on Seinfeld 20 years ago

Brian B

Mar 22, 2011
Wonder how many cans don't make it back though to offset that price. I know when I drive through WNY I see cans everywhere. Country, city, and in-between. Even when I vacation in MA being there after a weekend, quite a few of the surrounding people just threw them out in the recycling. Be nice if all states did it, just to keep out the litter, but I honestly don't see a lot of difference trash wise between the bottle states I've been to and the state I live in. I guess people that litter are going to litter, and most people don't.

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They put these people in jail for fraud but if the can goes to the garbage dump or is lost oooow the state keeps the money?

EARL51

Nov 4, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 70
Lucky me, as part of my last job I was in charge of redemption. Oh I live and work in MA. Before we got the machines I had to hand handle everything. We didn't sell Pepsi products so we didn't have to redeem them. How many 30 packs did I take in and ask, all beer. Yep until I dumped them half full of Pepsi.. It got even better with the machines. If they were out of state and for some reason wouldn't go through the machine. They would photo copy a sheet of good UPC codes and cut them out and tape to the cans or bottles. A nickel is a lot to some people

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky me, as part of my last job I was in charge of redemption. Oh I live and work in MA. Before we got the machines I had to hand handle everything. We didn't sell Pepsi products so we didn't have to redeem them. How many 30 packs did I take in and ask, all beer. Yep until I dumped them half full of Pepsi.. It got even better with the machines. If they were out of state and for some reason wouldn't go through the machine. They would photo copy a sheet of good UPC codes and cut them out and tape to the cans or bottles. A nickel is a lot to some people

Now that's "Getting one over on The Man"

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always Wondered What stops people from taking Can,s & Bottles into a State that pays a Deposit.

Heck I Started my whole Scrapping ,Mding , Finding Stuff Life , Picking up Coca Cola Bottles out of the Woods Then turning them in for 10 cents a piece when I was 9 or 10.

Davers:thumbsup:

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i always thought that this scaming and loss of money by the State is Bullshit. Here in California they prosecuted a for bringing in cans from out of State they got like 20 to 30 years in Prison. So tell me how do they know that someone didnt just buy them in California and then take them out of State and then they were being returned? On the other had the State here charges 5 cent deposit on plastic water bottles and cans, money goes into general fund lots of water bottles are burnt lost burried and thrown out, now the state keeps the 5 cents per bottle in the general fund. You take the bottles to recycler you dont get 5 cents a bottle for them you get scrap plastic price recycler gets the 5 cents. Same with cans. Now we assume that 20% go unrecycled so there must be a huge amount of money in the deposit fund not spent but the state puts it in the general fund and says that fraud ie bringing recycleables from out of State is causing the State to lose money? The Politicians are just spending it all from the General fund and *****ing when an person tries to get the most for his cans from out of state.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I worked for NYC Transit for 26 years before retiring earlier this year. It is a civil service job with a decent pension. If you get arrested, a copy of the arrest report goes from NYPD to NYC Transit automatically. We had a guy get caught feeding a can redemption machine with cans that had copies of a Barcode taped to them. Imagine losing a civil service pension for something so stupid.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, let me throw a little something into the mix.

As we live in a very small community (more like wilderness), we have (legally) ended up with lots of cans/bottles over the years that say they are redeemable in one of various states, with some states paying more than others. Unfortunately none of the states that pay are anywhere near us. However, if we think we might be taking a trip some time with our trailer, what would be so wrong with taking our load of cans/bottle to a state listed on them??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread