MA/VT/NH Panning

dvdtharaldson

Sep 19, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ,

This is the first time I have posted on this website. I live in Western MA and am planning a trip during the last few days of September to Vermont to try my luck panning. I was going to try Buffalo Brook and Five Corners in the Bridgewater area. Does anybody know how far down you ordinarily have to dig to hit black sands in those areas? Any comments on whether you have to dig deep or just stay on the surface? I was thinking Irene probably deposited alot of flood gold on the surface. Does anybody know if some of the small brooks high up in the mts. north of Bridgewater contain gold? All I ever hear is Buffalo Brook and Five Corners. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. As you probably could tell I am new to panning for gold.

Thanks,

David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WesternMassGold

Dec 20, 2013
Westfield,Ma
Detector(s) used
Garret super sluice pan,Modified Royal folding sluice w/ Goldhog mats
Grizzly Gold Trap Explorer Sluice,Falcon MD 20 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup went north the other day ,water was way to cold. wore gloves inside my rubber gloves and still got cold hands.
Gonna call it quits for the season. Got 2510 pieces total this year, gonna weigh it soon and get a good laugh. I dont think it even weighs 0.2 grams .
I kept count on how many times i went out ( 45 ) times.That averages out to 55 pieces per trip.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
whites, KEENE A52 sluice, 3" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last time I went had hand warmers in my boots with 2 pair of socks still cold, and in the shade all day. Gave up on the hands.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
EMassAUman, Brian from New Jersey and I went into the hills of NW MA today. Had a great time with them both. Water was cold but not a problem. I found some nice gold!

Pic to follow...0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
EMassAUman, Brian from New Jersey and I went into the hills of NW MA today. Had a great time with them both. Water was cold but not a problem. I found some nice gold!

Pic to follow...0

...go look on my Prospector's Journal thread "Kevin in Colorado...and elsewhere" ...western MA definitely counts as "elsewhere", you can barely get there from here LOL! You'll find the pics there.

WesternMassGold

Dec 20, 2013
Westfield,Ma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok so i dried out my mountain of gold and put it on a scale.
I swear i could hear the scale laughing at me. But it beat my expectations. I was hoping for 0.2 grams.
20151118_074604.jpg 20151118_074909.jpg
It came out to be 0.35 grams. Long way to go to make an ounce.lol

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks really pretty no matter the weight! Good job...I know how hard you work and how tough it is to find gold in MA!

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guy's have to come up to the Wild Am. You think it's cold in Mass. go about 3 hrs. north. Seriously next season you all need to come up for some NH. gold.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
N.H don"t give away our secret. No one believes there gold in N.H. But we know there is.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Western Mass. Very nice find.I would call that a very nice find just about anywhere"s. It shows hard work and research will bring rewards.

WesternMassGold

Dec 20, 2013
Westfield,Ma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Western Mass. Very nice find.I would call that a very nice find just about anywhere"s. It shows hard work and research will bring rewards.

Thx , actually i'm embarassed to say thats my 1 year total for the season .2510 pieces from this year and 200 from last year when i started prospecting. So i'm still a Noob at this.
And that shows how small the gold is around here weighing only 0.35 grams. probably moved over 10 .000 pounds of gravel to find it.
I dont mind doing it because it keeps me physically active , i lose weight and i really think that there is such a thing as "GoldFever".:goldbar:

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know what you mean. We can only talk about total pieces found. And maybe later on we can talk about weight. But at least we have found some gold.If we had started when we were teenagers. We might have been able to talk about oz s by now. You have had a super year. At least in my mind.

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean. We can only talk about total pieces found. And maybe later on we can talk about weight. But at least we have found some gold.If we had started when we were teenagers. We might have been able to talk about oz s by now. You have had a super year. At least in my mind.
We had better things on our minds as teens! Let me see ,girls, cars, girls, parties. Oh' no I'm having flash backs of the 70's again! But we all had a good time this season and I know we will have a better one next year cause we all did our research or should I say search.

quantumleap39

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2015
Burlington MA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Greetings, anybody going panning this weekend? Im thinking up towards maxwell brook, charlemont area. I only got out twice this year to do other things and I want to go at least once more before the winter hits.

OP
OP
D

dvdtharaldson

Sep 19, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi quantumleap39 and welcome to the thread. I would meet up with you to get some digging done, but this weekend I am heading up to try some of the tribs of the Black River in Vermont. Hopefully the mountain roads will still be passable after the rain tonight.

Best Colors,
David

quantumleap39

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2015
Burlington MA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Went up and prospected on maxwell brook in MA, found lots of black sand and garnet. Went up to couch brook, which 90% of it has now posted no trespassing signs :( found a nice brook near by though, the map says its couch, but on keets brook road? anyways, found this! with other pieces. Ill be heading back up that way on friday with temps near 60
gold peice.jpg

OP
OP
D

dvdtharaldson

Sep 19, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find ql39 that piece/picker has some nice definition and color to it.
Went up and prospected on maxwell brook in MA, found lots of black sand and garnet. Went up to couch brook, which 90% of it has now posted no trespassing signs :( found a nice brook near by though, the map says its couch, but on keets brook road? anyways, found this! with other pieces. Ill be heading back up that way on friday with temps near 60
View attachment 1239346

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
quantumleap39, how did you do today? We're dying to know! And the weather must have been amazing!
Show us more gold (please)!
- Brian

quantumleap39

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2015
Burlington MA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The weather was amazing up there, ran the trammel for 4 hours, I will go through the cons tomorrow and post it out. Met up with rockwerkz. Had a great day!!

nh.nugget

Sep 3, 2013
e.rochester nh.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went up to the Wild Am. yesterday. It was almost 60 degrees it was awesome! Hope you did well?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread