Mac/Apple Towers Question

swampmon

Tenderfoot
Aug 17, 2007
Chicago Area
I have a couple old Mac Towers (G3's). If I were just to scap the whole tower "as is", what is the average value received from a scrap yard? Should I remove anything before the scrap yard? I read something about the Gold teeth, etc. I might be able to get a bunch more for scrap so I am just looking for the best way to scrap and of course, the most money possible. Any advice would be great. Thanks!!!

DemonWolfe

Apr 11, 2008
Russell KS.
as is, for scrap your only looking at a couple bucks, they aren't real heavy and youd only get scrap steel price for them. as far as the gold teeth, most people want to buy them in pounds, I have seen people on ebay selling them in as little a a pound or two, anything less than that never seems to have any bids on them when I'm looking at them, your best bet may to be to take them apart and take out the motherboards and cards and sell them up on ebay. About a year ago I did this with a couple computers and I got 55 dollars for the boards. If they still work you could sell them as is. Please anyone, if I am wrong on any of this let him know, and me, I have some experience selling e scrap but not alot.

theirratonalist

Nov 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
swampmon said:
I have a couple old Mac Towers (G3's). If I were just to scap the whole tower "as is", what is the average value received from a scrap yard? Should I remove anything before the scrap yard? I read something about the Gold teeth, etc. I might be able to get a bunch more for scrap so I am just looking for the best way to scrap and of course, the most money possible. Any advice would be great. Thanks!!!

I wrote up a how-to on the subject of selling a scrap computer. It helps if you have more then 1 or 2, but the principles are the same no matter what.

The motherboard scrap is worth as much as copper by weight. Open them up and pull out all wires. The power box is basically a scrap transformer. The hard drive is cast aluminum and stainless.

The CPU scrap is worth more if you have more computers. It depends on the type which you would need to discover for yourself. Also, RAM can be sold by the pound, same as Gold Fingers.

I know that is alot of info to throw at you, but it may not even be worth tearing apart, especially with just 1 or 2. These computers are worth much more then scrap if they still work. You coud probably sell them for at least $20 each without tearing anything apart. I'm not sure where you got them, but selling on ebay or craigslist may be an option. Hobbyists like to use them for anything from website servers, to proxy servers, to data centers, ect.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a friend that would gather old motherboards from computers for months at a time. When he got 1000 boards accumulated, he had a machine that would extract the gold from the board. Granted each board has very very little gold, but when multiplied by 1000 it would grab you by the boo-boo. Gold at the time was roughly in the $800 dollars an toz range.
I believe his recovery from the thousand boards was just at or just under 1 toz of gold. Remember that this was back in the
xt and at computer days. I have no idea what composition makes up a new motherboard these days. His yard was littered with
torn apart cases and such. He also scrapped all the cooper he could get out of them as mentioned above. When he was completely finished with the scrapping process, his friend would sell the cabinets for scrap metal.

Good business back then if you had the right contacts, which he did at the time.

theirratonalist

Nov 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FreedomUIC said:
Good business back then if you had the right contacts, which he did at the time.

Good business back then, great business now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread