Machine wrapped cents 100% zincolns???

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I've noticed recently that ALL the plastic MWR's of pennies are zincolns. Not mostly, ALL. NO coppers at all in MWR's, but only the plastic rolls - string rolls still producing about 28% Cu. Can't decide whether one particular coin hauling service is separating Cu, or if someone around town is dumping massive amounts of zincolns; even so, I'd expect to see some copper, at least 1 or 2 per roll.

Anybody else seeing anything similar?

Upvote 0

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FreedomUIC said:
Brinks does not own the coin, the banks that dump into their repository do. If they cull that much copper they have to replace it
or the books do not balance. Do you honestly think that brinks is buying hundreds of thousands of boxes of zincolns to replace
the copper they take out. I hardly think so..... :BangHead:

They don't have to replace anything. They just have to separate cents by type and store them in boxes. When someone calls and wants copper cents, they grab them from the copper pile and deliver them (along with a higher fee). If someone orders cents and doesn't specify what type, they grab a box from the zinc pile.

Note that I am NOT saying that this is actually happening. I'm simply pointing out that it could easily happen without them going out and purchasing zinc "replacements".

F

Farchaus2k

By the way, I did a Brink's box of nickels on Monday.

NO Buffalo Nickels
NO War Nickels

Obviously Brink's is culling Buffalo Nickels and War Nickels, too.

ThatCopperSound

Dec 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oddly enough, my copper percentage (from Brink boxes) has actually gone up this month. I was averaging 16%. This month (about 10 boxes) I have been averaging 20%.

Andrew123

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange? Probably I got a dump from a disgrunted son of an old guy as I am so far halfway through a penny box to find 400 coppers, 15 1950's wheats, 5 1940's wheat, a 1938d, a 193?, a 1928s, a 1926p, an extremely worn and beat up lincoln penny, and 3 Canadian pennies (1957, 1960, 1963). So far I am only dealing with Brink boxes and have not been skunked yet :icon_scratch: . On nickels, I average 2-4 wars and 1 buffalo nickel in every couple boxes or more. To my opinion, it does not seem like Brinks is culling out the coppers or anything valuable.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Before the melt ban, Pincher Processing was pulling 4 tons per week from circulation http://www.goldismoney2.com/showthread.php?28059-The-History-of-Pincher-Processing-LLC with the help of Brinks.

The founder of Pincher Processing reported that Brinks + Coinstar started culling in 2008 and offered him $80k face of 95% Cu cents at face because of inventory surplus/cash flow issues.

[url]http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic said:
I got a call on July 3rd from the coin manager at the Denver Brinks location. He said, "I've got $80,000 in COPPER pennies sitting on the dock, and I was wondering if you wanted to buy them."

Short version: Brinks has upgraded their equipment nationally and has started to sort out all the copper pennies from the coins which they process on behalf of Coinstar. Coinstar sees a future market to resell these for a profit while at the same time cutting back on the amount of coins that they have to deposit with the bank (and therefore incur banking fees).

. . .

I probably shouldn't be sharing so many trade secrets, but as far as I can tell it is game over for my company, Pincher Processing, because Brinks, by upgrading their equipment, just cut me out of the chain.

BTW... coinstar is currently sorting out 3,000,000 copper cents PER DAY (5 days/week) in conjunction with Brinks nationally.

One more thing: The reason they wanted to sell me that $80,000 stack of copper cents is because their (Coinstar's) inventory is getting too large while waiting for the ban to be lifted. They wanted me to tie up capital in the waiting game. Coinstar does not "deposit" the copper cents, but they are held by Brinks as "inventory" on their balance sheet.

It might not be verifiable, but it has a hing of credibility (the photos seem legit).

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been doing pennies for 13-months, currently on box #34, have been averaging 29.5% as coppers with Brinks as the supplier here in the Midwest. Go figure !!!

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got 3 boxes all zincolins (100%) from Brinks. I have a digital scale and I weighed each roll to find out. I believe only Coinstar can do this because Coinstar owns the coins. Brinks never own any coins, period.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To the doubters, take it how you want. I am not trying to convince or win you over on my point of view, just giving you the same info and you can make your own decision.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions