May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey all,

I posted this coin over in the "What is it?" section because I had no idea what I had found (http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,283123.0.html)

Paco, John and I went to an old farm that we had hit many times before and stumbled across a colonial site of some sort - we ended with 11 colonial coins for the group (which I'll put up with pics in another post) but this one by far was in the nicest shape and from what I'm hearing has some potential to be "special".

It seems the Machins Mills people stamped this KGIII on a NJ planchet - very cool ...
(notice the "UM" clearly visible on the cheek of the bust)

thanks to everyone who put some time in identifying it; kylePA, IP, johnnyi, and especially Don in Jersey - I 'm gonna send it over to him for some friends of his to look at ...

take care,

vp

www.Treasure-Valley.net

Attachments

• munro110.jpg
    munro110.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 1,353
  • munro111.jpg
    munro111.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 1,379
  • munro110.jpg
    munro110.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 1,355
  • munro111.jpg
    munro111.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 1,356
  • munro112.jpg
    munro112.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 1,329
Upvote 0

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Cool coin VP. I been watching this on the what is it forum. I don't know much about these early coins, as we don't find them here in Bama, :'( but from what I have seen, it would look good on the banner. My vote is in. :icon_thumright:

Hope it turns out to be something special. :thumbsup:

Randy

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
SWEET recovery, Kevin! You guys have a great site there! :thumbsup:

Kyle

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Machins Mills 17-87B variety, struck over a defective NJ Reverse side planch

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Attachments

• banner_monkey.jpg
    banner_monkey.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,294
  • banner_monkey.jpg
    banner_monkey.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,291

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The chimp's right on the money.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Machins Mills 17-87B variety, struck over a defective NJ Reverse side planch

johnnyi said:

hahaha After I saved the pic I was thinking chimp, but banner monkey sounds better. I don't think his vote will count for much anyway. :wink:

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
johnnyi said:

Are you referring to the one with the hair or the one in red, white and blue. :icon_scratch: :D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RPG said:
johnnyi said:

Are you referring to the one with the hair or the one in red, white and blue. :icon_scratch: :D

Don't matter, both might beat your a$$. ;D

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Wow, I told Paco the other night on the phone, "You guys are due for a killer site." Too bad you guys don't know who settled there or what was there.

Keep hitting it hard, Kevin!

Kirk

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used

Iron Patch said:
RPG said:
johnnyi said:

Especially when it comes to those colonial relics. Sure wish we had more of them here. :-\

Tuesday is the big day aint it? Good luck showing up the Pa. bros. :thumbsup:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tremendous find guy!!!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: The Hogge

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RPG said:
Iron Patch said:
RPG said:
johnnyi said:

Especially when it comes to those colonial relics. Sure wish we had more of them here. :-\

Yep, we've kinda cooled off, so looking in a new direction. Trying to stay closer to home because the driving is killing our detecting time.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used

Iron Patch said:
RPG said:
Iron Patch said:
RPG said:
johnnyi said:

Yep, we've kinda cooled off, so looking in a new direction. Trying to stay closer to home because the driving is killing our detecting time.

Just make sure we get a post. I'm dying to see the results. :)

Now to get this thread back on line. Come on people. lets see some BANNER votes. This is an awesome coin. :thumbsup:

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
That sure is a unique and beautifully shaped Machin mills/Jersey copper Kev. You guys found a honey spot for sure. I'd work it until I dropped. I hope to see you guys post the rest of your coins very soon. It's good to see such fine shaped coppers popping out of the Pa fields. Most of my 30 coppers I found this year are above average shape. I can't say the same for my last years 34. Take good care of them buddy and it's good to see you on Tnet again. And you get my vote for banner. :headbang:
Chris

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet copper! Got my vote.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible it survived ,never saw a Jersey Rev. /Machin Mill overstrike, counterfeit ,bogus ,cent :icon_scratch:..must be a rare one :o ::Got to like it !!! My vote s in :o :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :headbang: :thumbsup: :headbang:

OP
OP
vpone

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey thanks everyone for the posts & votes - much appreciated !

vp

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update on New Jersey struck over a Machins Mills

Vpone was kind enough to send the coin to me for myself and a few experts to study this coin and determine some facts about it. As of this date the experts have not gotten to see the coin yet, but I have been busy looking at it and photographing and rephotographing the coin and despite its condition, this coin is turning out to be a very interesting happening.

I cannot say the results yet, since the experts have not verified what I have found, but I have ID'd the variety of the NJ copper that was struck on this Machins Mills Planchet and today I discovered on the other side of the Machins (Reverse side) that there is evidence of the Horse Head/Plow side strike on that coin also, and it looks like it was a normally centered strike, unlike the shield and NUM we see on the Obverse side.

So, hopefully by next week, we might know what type of new discovery Vpone's coin is, and from what I see, it will be a interesting story, concerning the mint or mints involved and the relationship with the die maker...............

This has the potential for being a new discovery type of overstrike, with some historic (numismatic that is) value.

Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread