Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice review! :occasion14:

Again, this shows there is no difference between a $500 single-freq VLF, and a $160.00 single-freq VLF on a saltwater beach. They all top out around 6"-7" on a quarter, which means you can forget about 10" deep gold. If you want to hunt saltwater beaches, Multi-freq of PI machines are king. :skullflag:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
If you want to have a great detector for the Beach look for a used Sovereign GT. My 2 cents.

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If you want to have a great detector for the Beach look for a used Sovereign GT. My 2 cents.

Rusty, I'm not looking for yet another detector. I wrote this review at the request of Kellyco for their Field Test library. :D

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I second that! If they would repackage that exact machine in an ATPro/ MX Sport type platform that is only water proof to say 10' it would sell like hot cakes! OR just redesign the Sovereign box to make it water resistant For water detecting I do not need/ want a screen to look at or programs to play with just straight up controls like the sovereign/ excal.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Colonel Dan, thanx for the Kellyco writeup, and thanx for the link here.

I'm assuming that was the 2nd generation Racer II you were testing. Right ? Then do you think there would be any difference between that, and the 1st generation Racer ?

A buddy of mine used the Racer I on the wet salt beach here @ Monterey late last year during some erosion. And we were both pleasantly surprised at how well it did. Nice, smooth, deep, etc... There was nothing that I showed him with my Explorer II, that he could equally hear with his Racer. I was surprised since most machines geared for iron see through/around (ie.: ghost-townsy relicky machines) are generally going to-be-lacking on the wet salt. But his Racer I did just fine on the beach.

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Tom in CA, The Racer I tested was the Racer I as you call it. I've not yet had an opportunity to run the Racer 2.

Thank you for your validation of the results I reported. The Racer was designed as a land machine but it has the additional bonus of doing relatively well on wet salt sand. It certainly not for the dedicated salt beach hunter but for the occasional beach Hunter who spends most of his time on dry land, it's a worthy option to consider. But as I always say, that's just the view from my foxhole! :D

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Colonel, thanx for the followup. Then if that was the Racer I you tested, then a followup question:

Based on the differences between the I and the II, is there any reason why the II won't be equally adept at wet salt beach ?

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Colonel, thanx for the followup. Then if that was the Racer I you tested, then a followup question:

Based on the differences between the I and the II, is there any reason why the II won't be equally adept at wet salt beach ?

I can't see any reason why there should be degraded wet salt beach performance in the II. They should perform at least equally as well in that environment.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Racer 2 works every bit as good as the original Racer on the wet saltwater beach sand. The Racers are the best and deepest performing single frequency VLF detectors I've used on the wet sand in my 41 years detecting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tom, Here's a link to Kellyco's Macro Page. It may be helpful in providing more info on the Macro detectors.

Makro Metal Detectors & Accessories For Sale

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread