Mad & Upset but famous

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Mad & Upset but famous

Today was my first day out hunting since EmeraldEyes had her problem. I did get out for about an hour the other day but today I got to hunt for several hours. I wasn't finding much but then I hunt this beach frequently and there are many others that hunt it as well. I did manage to fine a dumb bell. Yep, you are reading it right! I got this hit and it was an overload and I figured it was another knife since I've found 3 there this year so far. It wasn't, it was a 3 lb dumb bell!

DumbBell100109.jpg

Then I found a small variety of junk along with another nitro stud earring.

Earring100109.jpg

I was about to give up for the day and started for the shallows where the little kids play and started finding fish hooks. Not one or two but many! I would pull up 2 and 3 in each scoop. Well I decided to really go over that area very good, first going one way and then going over it again the other way. I ended up with 21 fish hooks! Different kinds, different sizes, different types. I was really getting upset about this because they were not there the other day. I believe that someone deliberatly threw these in the water and the worst part as far as I'm concerned it WHERE they threw them. In the little kids area. Some people are really jerks and I hope this person steps on a fish hook one day and it hurts like H***!

MoneynJunk100109.jpg

Now for the famous part! Have you ever heard that everyone gets 15 minutes of fame? Well I might be getting about a minute and a half pretty soon. While I was hunting and doing my thing a guy was taking pictures of me and then motioned me out of the water. He was a reporter for the Tampa Tribune (Hernando Today) and wanted to interview me. I said sure but I was really angry at that moment and I showed him why. He took pictures of my finds and said "WOW" All of those were found here? I said yep! Every last one of them. Anyway he said the story would be in the paper MAYBE..... maybe as soon as tomorrow, maybe next week, maybe never. It just depends on if his boss thinks the story is good enough to print and it would be used as a filler. Anyway WHEN and IF the story ever gets in the paper I will let you gng's know. So maybe I will be famous..... for a minute or so. :o

Upvote 0

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Mad & Upset but famous

I hope they too step on a few rusty ones if they did this on purpose..and in the same breath, good PR for our hobby, showing what junk we do pull out of the ocean .. so I dearly hope it gets published.. and let us know or show us here so us no Floridians can read about it too.. atta girl Mumzie..

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That 3# dumbbell will give you something to do on those
days when you can't get outside to detect mumszie. LOL
And thanks for pulling all those fish hooks out of the area.
You just saved someone a lot of pain if they got one in their
foot. Did ya leave just one for the person that put all them there?
(Hope so.) Keep us posted on the interview and possible story.
Gold Nuggets :hello:

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida

Gold nuggets..... No I didn't leave any - I hope. I really went over that area several times back and forth and I wouldn't want anyone to step on one of these babies. Especially any of the little ones that play in the water there. They NEVER have water shoes on even though I do mention to parents all the time some of the things I pull out of the water. They think the shoes are too expensive. I try to tell them they are cheaper than a trip to the hospital! DUH! I will double check that paticular area the next couple of times I go there just to be sure.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

ouch! and i detect in my bare fee all the time!!

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

congrats on getting in the paper!! i would say somebody accidently spilled there tacklebox and did not get everthing picked up.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

I see fresh water water plastic worm hooks (like for bass fishing) and a bunch of small hooks like you use for bluegills too -- so it just might have been a tackle box dump --I hope so --however if a person did this on purpose , I lay this curse upon em --- for the evil that you do may god chase you so far over the hills of damnation that jesus can't find you without a telescope.

no matter how it got lost --nice bit of MDing PR work showing them--- see the dangerous stuff we protect the public from :icon_thumright:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I suspect it is lost fishing tackle as Ivan says.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The first time I started water hunting I went barefoot and could not believe all the dangerous things in the water. I dug up a lot of broken glass, sharp pieces of steel and some fishing lures and hooks. I've swam in that area many times and took the kids to swim. But the next detecting item I bought was a pair of wading shoes. I found them at Wal-Mart of all places! I also wear cloth gloves with rubberized palms and fingers when I go detecting even on dry land. They have saved me from a bad cut several times. Anybody in the detecting game should take precautions. I have met a few who had nasty cuts, especially on the hands. Monty

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

At least if they print the story it will send a good word out....

Monty, I won't leave home without my water boots when I'm heading out water hunting. For all the glass that I've pulled up in the scoop, oh and let's not forget the knives, hooks, and other sharp objects.....oh and the %#$^$ stingray that I stepped on a few weeks ago.

I hope it was a tackle box spill. I know there are people out there that are bad but I still have hope.....

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thanks for cleaning up the area, why someone would do that is beside me. If a kid stepped on one it would be a trip to the er, because those suckers are hard to remove. I hope your story makes the paper.

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A Star is Born. :hello2: I hope your story gets in the paper for all to see. Good work cleaning out all the fish hooks. I have to agree with Ivan that it may be a tackle box drop. But if it were then there would be other lures as well. Hmmm. If it wasn't and you find the person who dumped them there then you will know what to do with the dumbell you found. ;D

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Maybe the dummy who left all those hooks will see the article also. You did a great service for removing them Mumzie! Patriot in my book!!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

some folks do not lure fish --only bait fish --so no lures -- rubber worms like the ones used with the worm hooks in the photo (bent by the eye) would wash away easily

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gravediggermax-vabeachva said:

As in "have you ever had a Klondike Bar?" :laughing9:

Just kidding....have a good one.

I hope to see the story soon. All positive news is good news...

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida

Well this is the third day and I guess I didn't make it. I guess there were more interesting stories out there. Oh well. Maybe next time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread