made in maine

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a few things found a few days ago.This is all Red Paint stuff .A really Nice point along with a very heavy adze and a piece of slate bayonet that has been repurposed to be used as a knife.The normally smooth edges are flaked and the broken end has been ground down to be held easier...mjm IMG_20150427_062251.jpg

Upvote 0

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Americus said it....Awesome finds!! Center slate piece is a beauty!! Can you post close-ups of that piece?.........

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geez those are some big ones. Id freak out if I ever found any that big and nice.

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one on the left is about 31/2" long.My buddy found it's twin about an hour later it was about 4"" long but missing a tiny piece of tip.I've seen the Same type in a book that was 8" long...mjm

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The one on the left is about 31/2" long.My buddy found it's twin about an hour later it was about 4"" long but missing a tiny piece of tip.I've seen the Same type in a book that was 8" long...mjm

In fact, both your point and your buddy's has been identified as early Moorehead Phase of Maritime Archaic. (See my PM to you elsewhere). And you know how extraordinarily rare slate bayonets are!

Here is a friend's repro of a Moorehead Phase slate bayonet. Find an intact one, Jay. Before you know who does:-)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    746.7 KB · Views: 72

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was saying to that friend the other day, regarding what you and Will have going up there, that can you imagine being able to say "I think I'll go gouge hunting today". Well, you guys can actually say such a thing!! That's Maine for you, but it also speaks to the special spots you guys have. Remarkable!

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a pic of that repurposed slate piece.This broke piece is really unique as it's my first piece of reworked slate...mjm

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your help charl for filling in the information gaps I leave.That is one fine report...mjm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread