Made my headset wireless, & love it.

Harry Malosh

Feb 4, 2005
Ohio, Medina County
Made my headset wireless, & love it.

I was tired of plugging and unplugging my headset or leaving it in and having the headset pulled when I move too far from the MD while digging. Got one of the audio FM transmitters available everywhere for use with the miniature MP3 players. Already owned a great headset bought several years ago from Radio Shack that has a built in FM radio (or can be used as a plug-in headset). Had to use an adapter to get to the miniature stereo jack to the MD. It works GREAT. Can hear everything from the detector, don?t have to remove the headset or unplug it when I want to dig. You can also put the MD into all metal mode and lay it down with the head near the dig so you can pass handfuls of dirt over the head to see if the target is in that handful. I?ve done a couple of tests and noted no impact on the detectors operation. I love it. HH Harry

OP
OP
H

Harry Malosh

Feb 4, 2005
Ohio, Medina County
Re: Made my headset wireless, & love it.

OK, guys, hope it's goes together as easy for you and works as well. If you have any questions or run into problems please let me know.

And let us know if your successful. LOL, Harry

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds good . The only draw back may be when hunting close to someone else. The FM transmitter may interfere with others detectors or they may be using the same set up and read your transmitted signal. A transmitter that can switch frequencies may help.

Ed

OP
OP
H

Harry Malosh

Feb 4, 2005
Ohio, Medina County

Yea, Ed the little one I got from Radio Shack has 4 different frequencies you can select with a switch on it. What you say could become a problem if enough of us started using them. I carry my old standard headphones in my take-along box just in case I run into any problems. Knock, Knock, haven't yet. HH

Harry

DFXaholic

Mar 19, 2005
Puyallup, Wa
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, 11 inch coil, 13 inch coil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ended up at GoodWill today and found all the parts I needed to build the wireless headset. It works great for under $6.00, Thanks for the great tip.
SLAPPAV

OP
OP
H

Harry Malosh

Feb 4, 2005
Ohio, Medina County

WOW, we could all use a Goodwill that carries techy stuff. That's fantastic, under 6$. I've been in our local one several times but never found anything like that. Enjoy SLAPPAV. HH

NeoDave

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2005

I would be curious which Radio Shack model you chose and how you mounted to your detector? Also, what kind of receiver are you using? FM radio or something else? It sounds like a cool idea.

OP
OP
H

Harry Malosh

Feb 4, 2005
Ohio, Medina County

I use a pair of Optimus Headphones from radio Shack. You can plug them into an audio output or use the built-in radio. The wireless transmitter I use is called Beamit, also from Radio Shack. This unit allows you to select from 4 different frequencies to tranmit on. Depending on your MD you'll probably also need an adaptor from a miniture jack to a standard audio jack. I used the self adhesive velcro to stick the transmitter to the MD stem. Works great, I love it. HH

DFXaholic

Mar 19, 2005
Puyallup, Wa
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, 11 inch coil, 13 inch coil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I used a Belkin unit designed as a FM transmitter to an IPod so you could listen to your IPod through your car stereo, plus an adapter to my head phone jack of the MD. Then I use a small FM radio with ear plugs. Mine also has 4 different frequencies. I set the transmitter to 88.1 then adjusted my radio to the same frequencies 88.1. I also used a very good Velcro and taped on the MD. Works great, I wont go back but I do have a set of headphones in the car if things go wrong.
SLAPPAV

Attachments

• STD1_F8V3080-APL.jpg
    STD1_F8V3080-APL.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 319

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread