Made my own Metal Detector and took it out for a spin!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone

For the past few weeks, me and my physics class have been making metal detectors. We started by printing the circuit board design on the copper side of a circuit board. Then, we dipped them in acid to eat at the copper that was exposed. After drilling holes into it, we put various transistors, semiconductors, and other sciencey stuff. Afterwards, We built the coils by making three wooden circles, one smaller then the other two, then wrapping copper wire around the small one and gluing it all together. Additionally, we glued copper on it so it would not false when we moved it up an down.Then, we made a tuning device, a volume control, and a switch. Lastly, we held it all together with hot glue and tape. Nine people participated, one didn't bother to finish it, some didn't show up for the hunt, others fell apart or shorted out. Basically, mine and one other person's worked well enough for the hunt. My teacher buried around a hundred in dollar coins and quarters, plus some foreign coins. I found $37 in dollar coins, $19 in quarters (one dollar roll and the quarters were taped together), and a chocolate coin. Then I cleaned up with my DFX and was surprised to have only found nine remaining dollar coins and 4 foreign coins. Additionally, my sister showed up and used my detector to find three dollar coins.

HH
-GC

Attachments

• IMG_2305.jpg
    IMG_2305.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,602
  • IMG_2324.jpg
    IMG_2324.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 1,594
  • IMG_2326.jpg
    IMG_2326.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,588
  • IMG_2327.jpg
    IMG_2327.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,597
  • IMG_2328.jpg
    IMG_2328.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 1,583
Upvote 0

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool. Good job.

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Hey, that's not fair, you found more with your homey than I did with my SE! :)

Great post! Maybe you should think about giving the Metal Detecting manus. a run for "their" money!

GRB

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you guys rock, and your science teacher, well he rocks a lot. You should give him a plaque and a great big hurray for putting the class on this project. Plus he went out of pocket to fund the hunt. HE IS THE MAN, give him a pat on the back.

Jun 2, 2008
Great Project! It must have been alot of fun building that. Where did you get the information to do that? How deep does it go?

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
davest said:
you guys rock, and your science teacher, well he rocks a lot. You should give him a plaque and a great big hurray for putting the class on this project. Plus he went out of pocket to fund the hunt. HE IS THE MAN, give him a pat on the back.

yep, he is a great teacher

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
That is so cool.

The closest thing I ever did to that (in high school) was making stupid little airplanes out of foam meat trays and seeing who's plane went the furthest.

Joe

OP
OP
goldencoin

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John - Maryland said:
Great Project! It must have been alot of fun building that. Where did you get the information to do that? How deep does it go?

All the directions were provided by my teacher, it does not go deep (4 inch max)

HH
-GC

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:thumbsup: This story is absolutely outstanding. Not many people, myself included have the knowledge or talent to make a working detector. You must have one heck of a teacher. My hat is off to you. Great finds by the way. :icon_pirat:

kg6yll

Oct 10, 2006
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
This is what it's all about. I say put the kid on the BANNER!!!

KG6YLL

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is so very cool..I cant believe ya all did this... I see a big future for you young man. holey cow... am dumbfounded and you deserve banner on this one... the fact that YOU made a metal detector and IT WORKED... is BANNER worthy in my book.. so what say the rest of ya? :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:blob1: :blob1: :blob1: I agree. Put this one in the banner. :icon_pirat:

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
If you don't mind me asking, what VDI did the coins read at? :D

I wonder how many fellers in that picture now have the metal datecting fever? Well, we all know that at least one feller does. Goldencoin, you rock, bud, you rock! :thumbsup:

Kyle

DDEXPII

Aug 27, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II & the sun ray probe
I agree. Put this one in the banner. :thumbsup:

DDEII

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweeeeeet! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I love it!

Banner Indeed

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
That is incredible, You and your teacher are very inspiring and you should be proud of the work you have done. Not only was this a fun project but you have gained knowledge of the inner workings of a metal detector which many of us, including myself have no idea on. I agree whole heartedly that this is a Banner find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep up the good work!

HH
Slipperyjack

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread