Madonna figurines

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
There is a local beach here that's totally littered with these ancient sacrifices and most are broken and worn. But they are recognizable in many cases. They placed them out at the end of the point as a sacrifice and the tide would sweep them around the corner. At least over the course of time they would be swept around the corner.
it sounds like they were found on the beach......playing devils advocate here,but could all those years in the water have "rounded out " the figures so that obvious signs of workmanship was actually worn down to what we see now?...i am by no means an expert ...and i do see an uncanny resemblence(spelled right?) to a woman but i have to side with the experts ....show us other examples of these madonnas proven to be fertility symbols by experts....im sure you must have a few examples that inspired you to recognize yours for what they are.....

A

archaeon

to me, it's an insult to my Indian amcestors to imply that the figures you posted are supposed to be female figures. The natives of this land were incredible artists, and even the least of those artists could have made a human figure more recognizable that the stones you posted.
I was lucky enough to have a best friend who is an expert artifact hunter in my early artifact hunting years. He would tell me on the spot that the funny shaped rock I thought was an effigy or some kind of pendant was just a natural stone. So, it is understandable ,that you, on your own, could come to the conclusion that these rocks are human made, because you didn't have someone there looking at you, rolling their eyes. My friend would say "you're embarrassing me" and laugh. I would laugh and learn.

Attachments

• beadsgroupmooresmall.jpg
    beadsgroupmooresmall.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 493
A

Atlantis0077

LOL,

That's a good story. I suppose some folks are too educated for their own good...or worse spend too much time in that "ivory tower" and not enough time on the end of a shovel in the dirt.

You can learn from books and reading.....more from talking with those actually experienced in whatever field tickles your fancy, but if you really want to get proficient at something, nothing beats personal experience doing it. :thumbsup:

I could tell you all day what to look for when arrowhead hunting, but if you have never actually seen chips, or pottery sherds...have never actually seen the types of soil you are most likely to find relics in, or the type of topography you are most likely to encounter villages, you wont have much frame of reference and unless very lucky, little success.

Experience trumps degrees in my book, though I have nothing against higher learning. Take advantage of the combined years of experience you have available in this forum. I wish I could have had this 30 years ago....my collection would be MUCH larger.

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

A

archaeon

here are some pics of a favorite geofact find. don't get me wrong kneedeep, i love geofacts. the fact that they were made by erosion and the effects of the environment make them very beautiful to me. i always take a good one home...really good ones don't come along that often.
here are some pics of "the hound dog" in the first pic, you can see the dog, its nose is on the left, the face looks like a gog barking to the left(at least to me)...in the other pics i have turned it around so you can see how many different appearances it can take on. i'll see if i can get my buddy to post his sitting figure one.

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 430
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 431
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 417
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 435
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 412
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 409

Vicegrip

Aug 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Troy X5, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
archaeon said:
here are some pics of a favorite geofact find. don't get me wrong kneedeep, i love geofacts. the fact that they were made by erosion and the effects of the environment make them very beautiful to me. i always take a good one home...really good ones don't come along that often.
here are some pics of "the hound dog" in the first pic, you can see the dog, its nose is on the left, the face looks like a gog barking to the left(at least to me)...in the other pics i have turned it around so you can see how many different appearances it can take on. i'll see if i can get my buddy to post his sitting figure one.

the last pic looks like a bull

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Vicegrip said:
archaeon said:

the last pic looks like a bull
Good call! I see that too.

tchaire

Oct 4, 2004
I've still got the welding goggles on so I can't see anything. Could you please
light a torch next to it so I can take a gander. :tard:

Thanks,

T.

MICHIGANJAY

Dec 28, 2006
MI
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT, Equinox, Excal. 10, Ultra 1000
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice stones. Hopefully someday I will open my eyes and find something as cool as that.

drumking12

Apr 28, 2007
I will put it out there in the beginning that I am by no means an expert. With that being said, you sure make it sound like you are. ...fair enough. I have no reason to believe the contrary, but in any case your remarks can't be taken as fact without some proof. If you are sooo sure that these are in fact figurines then I think that what we are ALL asking for is a little proof instead of a clearly defensive response about our lack of knowledge in the subject.

So once again I ask....PLEASE, PLEASE JUST SHOW ONE EXAMPLE OF PROOF. For instance, if you are sure of the tribe, then find a proven example of one that has been linked to that tribe before. Indians did not make just one tool, they made many. This is also the case with the madonna figurines as you yourself have pointed out world wide. If you can't find an example from that tribe then find a proven example of one from the same area that you found yours and from the same time period. If they are indeed artifacts, they will not be the first and only ones that exist.

If you have done your research and you truly do know what you are talking about, then this shouldn't be a hard request to fill.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
drumking12 said:
I will put it out there in the beginning that I am by no means an expert. With that being said, you sure make it sound like you are. ...fair enough. I have no reason to believe the contrary, but in any case your remarks can't be taken as fact without some proof. If you are sooo sure that these are in fact figurines then I think that what we are ALL asking for is a little proof instead of a clearly defensive response about our lack of knowledge in the subject.

So once again I ask....PLEASE, PLEASE JUST SHOW ONE EXAMPLE OF PROOF. For instance, if you are sure of the tribe, then find a proven example of one that has been linked to that tribe before. Indians did not make just one tool, they made many. This is also the case with the madonna figurines as you yourself have pointed out world wide. If you can't find an example from that tribe then find a proven example of one from the same area that you found yours and from the same time period. If they are indeed artifacts, they will not be the first and only ones that exist.

If you have done your research and you truly do know what you are talking about, then this shouldn't be a hard request to fill.

I don't believe he can and that's why he just continues to insult us and argue with us. I asked that same question many times and he has yet to provide any evidence or other pictures of documented examples of these or the Animorphic figures on his other post. He talks of his 10 years of experience of collecting artifacts, well I have 43 years of experience of collecting artifacts and I say he is dead wrong. But then that's just my opinion based on my 43 years of collecting experience.

A

archaeon

far as i can tell, animorphic isn't even a word. i may be wrong but try to find a definition of animorphic and you end up with only this:

an·a·mor·phic (n-môrfk)
adj.
Relating to, having, or producing different optical imaging effects along mutually perpendicular radii

???
now zoomorphic:

zo·o·mor·phism (z-môrfzm)
n.
1. Attribution of animal characteristics or qualities to a god.
2. Use of animal forms in symbolism, literature, or graphic representation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

zoo·morphic adj.

StevefromMissouri

Jun 26, 2008
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hypothetically, couldn't someone join just to see what kind of a stir they could make and laugh the whole time? Just a thought.

Of course, per site rules, this is in no way pertaining to this thread.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
StevefromMissouri said:
Hypothetically, couldn't someone join just to see what kind of a stir they could make and laugh the whole time? Just a thought.

Of course, per site rules, this is in no way pertaining to this thread.

I Know I already Posted what would Happen to someone Posting to Agitate.

Trolls get Banned

P

pickaway

Yeah you can easily get by IP bans or mass bans ,proxys n such not to hard at all nowadays then again some boards can reak havok on certain banned ppl. its all a cat n mouse game most moderators cant even begin to imgagine the powers of some ppl on the net and thier abilitys.freaky stuff, lets stik to REAL artifacts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions