Magazines?

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
After reading another post on "what is your preferred treasure hunting magazine", I realize that few are still published today. Sad.

So what magazines do you have in your library for research purposes?

Here's a partial listing in my library:

Desert
Discover
Gold!
International Rocks-Treasure-Gems Club Digest
Lost Treasure
National Geographic
National Treasure Hunter's League
Treasure
Treasure Found
Treasure Search
Treasure World
True Frontier
True Treasure
Western & Eastern Treasures
World of Treasures

I must be getting old. Most of these are no longer available.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
W&E Treasures
Gold Prospectors and Treasure Hunters
Treasure seekers
Treasure Finders
Treasure search
Treasure Found
Lost Treasure
Treasure
True Treasure
World of Treasures
Treasure World
DIG
Gold and Treasure hunter
Modern Gold Miner and Treasure Hunter
ICJM's Prospecting and Mining Journal
Treasure Facts
Treasure Cache
Treasure Hunting

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Gone but not forgotten:

The Artifact - There were just 5 issues, I believe. However, it published the one documented find to come directly from a treasure magazine story that I am aware of.
The Exanimo Express - really a newspaper, not a magazine
Frontier Times - not just a "treasure" magazine, but lots of stories in it. There's the "old" series - published by J. Marvin Hunter; and the "New" series by Hosstail Joe Small (sister publication to True West).
The Gold Bug - more a newsletter than a magazine
National Prospectors' Gazette (& Treasure Hunting News) - again, a newspaper. Two series - "Old" and "New."
Prospectors' Club of Southern California - monthly magazine
TAB - I think it lasted all of 3 issues
Johnnie Pounds' The Treasure Hunter

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

PS: I hope someone indexes GOLD!.

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Gone but not forgotten:

The Artifact - There were just 5 issues, I believe. However, it published the one documented find to come directly from a treasure magazine story that I am aware of.

~The Old Bookaroo

PS: I hope someone indexes GOLD!.

The Artifact actually had at least 12 issues. I cannot confirm any more than that, but I have the first 12 issues so those are certainly confirmed.

The Exanimo Express actually had two incarnations. The first was in the 1960s and seemed to end about the same time the National Prospector's Gazette was reintroduced (Volume 6 and on through volume 12). Exanimo Express was reintroduced by Paul Tainter in the late 1970s and went on to be known under other names such as The Express and the THesrs Express.

I also noticed you left off Gene Ballinger's Publications, he had several. The oldest being The Association Newsletter, this would be followed by Treasure Hunting Unlimited. Both of these were relatively short lived. Ballinger had his best luck with "In The Steps of the Treasure Hunter", which he later shortened to simply, "In the Steps..." This was probably his longest running newspaper. He also briefly had "The Institute," and I believe one other though the name escapes me.

Another good one was the short-lived Treasure Hunters Newsletter put out by the 8 States Association.

All told, these represent some of the biggest names in Treasure Hunting for their era, and frankly it was an era like no other.

Refer to my list down below, I trade and collect most all of these titles and if you're looking to get your hands on some of this material I might be able to help you. If you're looking to be rid of some of this material, I can very likely help you as well.

Randy Bradford

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread