Attachments

• sharp coil 035resize.jpg
    sharp coil 035resize.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 160

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Interesting.
Most purchase the Snake or the Sharpshooter so I haven't read many reports about this one but I assume it should work as well on this platform as any of the Nel coils.
For some reason the Nel line seems to be almost designed to work on Fisher or Technetic products like they were specifically designed for optimum performance.
You should get deep with this thing, more than you might suspect, be super sensitive with stellar separation and all at quieter more stable levels than FTP coils seem to be.
That quieter thing is actually a huge asset whether you set your detector to low or much higher and hotter levels.

I was shocked and floored by what my similar 5" Fisher coil found for me in some really difficult site conditions over the last few seasons and how it could easily match the depth of my 10" concentric coil and sometime surpass it and come surprisingly close to the depth I could hit with the 11" DD coil.
This thing should hopefully hit all the same marks and then some for you.

Report back, please.

OP
OP
A

aaroncr

Dec 29, 2016
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting.
Most purchase the Snake or the Sharpshooter so I haven't read many reports about this one but I assume it should work as well on this platform as any of the Nel coils.
For some reason the Nel line seems to be almost designed to work on Fisher or Technetic products like they were specifically designed for optimum performance.
You should get deep with this thing, more than you might suspect, be super sensitive with stellar separation and all at quieter more stable levels than FTP coils seem to be.
That quieter thing is actually a huge asset whether you set your detector to low or much higher and hotter levels.

I was shocked and floored by what my similar 5" Fisher coil found for me in some really difficult site conditions over the last few seasons and how it could easily match the depth of my 10" concentric coil and sometime surpass it and come surprisingly close to the depth I could hit with the 11" DD coil.
This thing should hopefully hit all the same marks and then some for you.

Report back, please.

Will do digger. I went with the 5 incher just because I know how junky these old house sites are I hunt,..so I took it to the extreme. I just got it slapped on and took a little test spin around the yard just to get a feel for swinging something that small and to make sure it simply worked. Immediate obvious difference was it certainly is a leap forward in separation,..thats a no brainer I guess. My house is not "old" 25 years ish so no chance of great finds but like any yard you can get a feel for a machine in it just by what is there. I did take the time to dig one target,..tight VDI of 60-62 but just scratchy enough that I figured it was trash. It was can slaw,..looked like top of a beanie weenie can or something of that size. I measured it with my pinpointer. Solid 6.5 inches of dirt. It was hittin it hard. I know that's bigger than a coin but I was like hey,..not bad. I'll be taking it to the iron grounds soon as I can. Hopefully sniff out some good targets,..then I'm goin to check them with my f/75 with stock coil at same settings to see if it picks up any of the targets just for my own satisfaction. Just my way of seeing what I'm gaining from this smaller coil.

I've been doing a tone of research on coils,..not just size but comparison between DD and concentric as well. I'll get a big coil of some kind down the road but my next one will be a small concentric after I get some hours on this 5 incher. I want to compare the 2 on targets at my sites. We'll see what happens but yeah I'm anxious to hit the iron grounds 5 inches at a time first chance I get. The hour or so I was in my yard didn't bother me a bit,..my pace immediately slowed and you get the feeling every small flake is getting hit with every swing. This seems to basically be turning into my game,..if I want to ever find anything it has to be given where I have to hunt......and that's alright,....... I'll pick it apart,.. HH -Aaron

Last edited:

Hsimmons75

Dec 22, 2016
Lawrence Co., PA
Detector(s) used
1st Texas Titan 9000 (BH Time Ranger), Teknetics Patriot 11"DD with NEL Sharpshooter and Hunter, Deteknix X Pointer Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be watching for an in depth review. I have the sharpshooter on my Patriot and I love it. Definitely my favorite coil.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm also following this thread. The stock fisher piece works wonders and I'll bet this one is just as good and possibly even better. Good luck with it!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for the review when you get it :)

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Nice that you have an open mind about coils.
As far as concentrics I have some definite opinions on those.
For years I only used concentrics and did very well.
On an F2 I found a ton with the 4" hockey puck coil and the 8" and 10" coils were no slouches either.
My Vaq came standard with a 9" concentric and that was great but I opted for a larger 10X12 DD when I wanted a bigger one and hopefully deal with my mineralized soil.
When it came time to pick up a sniper for the Vaq I had only one that I aimed for, the 5.75" round concentric.
Mostly that choice was all about the easiest way to deal with pop tops using a Tesoro with no screen...a site with a ton of these things are a real drag to hunt using a DD and no screen information for me.
Then I got the F70 and it came with the 10" elliptical concentric.
That was the only one I used for several weeks and it was amazing.
I could hunt in heavy trash and iron pretty easily, great for covering decent amounts of real estate and I found a ton of great targets.
Then weeks later I was gifted with a well used Fisher 11" DD and a 5" DD.
They were really wrecked and abused with a thick layer of JB Weld all over the bottom but they still worked and I was grateful.
I put away the 10" elliptical and used those two for months.
The big one in open spaces with some forays into trash and the small one lived on the bottom when I hunted my usual trash infested and iron heavy sites.
Turns out the small DD was extremely great for hunting in trash and when I learned to use it in super heavy iron infested areas it worked better than well.
That smaller, thinner scanning field was just perfect for snaking though masking trash and iron, it was surprisingly effective.
Dealing with pop tops was not an issue at all since I had a screen and I learned in garbage filled sites I enjoyed hunting with sniper DD's a lot on my F70.
I never used a sniper concentric on my F70 but I have no inclination to do so now or in the future.
I can't believe a small concentric can do a whole lot more for me than my small DD's can do.

After a decently long time using the big and small DD's for a lark one hunt I switched back to the elliptical concentric coil and from the first tone I heard over a target I was shocked...I had listened to this one for many hours but I never realized exactly how great this one sounded, how different, sweet and sharp especially over coins and precious metals.
I believe it is very hard to tell the difference UNLESS you had a lot of experience hours listening to both types but luckily I did.

As a jewelry hunter by nature I can't get across how special this elliptical is to me.
Remember this is the original coil offered with the F70's for years, the F5's too I believe, and I have to believe there were many great reasons why Fisher chose it.
I may not use it all the time but I do use it and it will always have a special place in my arsenal and I am not the only one.
Mike Hillis is a very knowledgeable and experienced hunter using all kinds of brands and detectors including several FTP models, a Yoda in this hobby and very highly respected.
He is also a renowned jewelry hunter that also has a deep understanding of exactly how good this coil is for that task.
Do a Google search with his name and a whole bunch of threads and posts should pop up.

Now I have no idea how any other concentric coil of any size would work on the F70, Patriot or F75, how well or different they might work or the response they would have or how they would sound because I have no experience with them but I don't have any good reason to spend another penny on any other coil right now as far as I am concerned.
I have a pretty complete arsenal for my F70, I can't think of any others I would want to add at this point.

I have the 5" DD
A Nel Sharpshooter
The Elliptical concentric
The 11" DD
And now the large Cors Cannon coil

What I actually use right now in rotation are the Sharpshooter, the elliptical, the 11" DD and the Cors coil.
The 5" DD sniper is put away for now but it might make an appearance in the future because I have such find memories of what it found for me.

For more on my thoughts about this special concentric Google...
The 10" elliptical coil...a marvel!

When you are ready to buy that concentric study up because there are a few to choose from out there.
As for me I own one and only one for my F70 and I am completely satisfied with it and what it can do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

aaroncr

Dec 29, 2016
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright,..was able to get out for about 3 hours or so today with the 5". Would have liked more but better than nothing. So the 5 incher was on the patriot with the f/75 along with stock coil for a few comparisons.
The first thing I noticed was right off the bat with the GB. I always stop just a bit before getting to the old house to GB because it's so hard to find clean ground anywhere within 50 yards of it. The 5" ground balanced at around 69-70. Everything I've ever GB'd at this site or around my yard or the other sites of got within 30 minutes of me runs about 58 - 62. The 5 incher was hittin around 70 on GB. So I get the f/75 out..exact same spot,..62 on the money. I tried 3 different clean spots,..pretty much same on every one. I did end up getting a 68 and went with that. It is what it is and may be common for these smaller coils,..I just didn't know it.

So,.the hunt begins,..I start working around the edge of the old house. Marked the first 5 targets and then compared to the f/75. Both machines in DE sense 99 Disc 0. My goal here was to compare coils not machines so I kept it as apples to apples as I could. First target turned out to be a small "gear" and paper thin. Within 2 feet off the corner of the house in heavy junk/iron. Little coil nailed it reading as a nickel. Multiple other targets within inches or less. The f/75 was able to pick it up one direction completely. The other I had some decent audio squeeking through with jumpy numbers,..would I have dug it with the bigger coil?? Well I hadn't yet,..been over that spot 50x,..it's audibly very busy there but nothing ever stood out as a dig me signal.

Second target was a rusty nail,..I did dig several of those.

3rd target was a solid 30-32 anyway you wanna swing it signal with the 5". F/75 said same thing,..one direction did have some jump in numbers do to trash. It turned out to be my junk pendant,..the find of the day. The bigger piece of iron at the far left in the pick was within a few inches,..plus more closer than that which I didn't dig up.

4th target was very small thin piece of wire,..very small in a super busy area directly in front of the house by this bank where looks like old rock steps were. Its a super busy 10x10 or so area. I dug the tax token here. Stock dd coil didn't really give a solid hit on it. Numbers were jumpier,..wouldn't have dug it. Wire is pictured.

5th target was a the brass off a 22 short in basically same spot. 5 " coil was banging on it. TID was 20-22 every time. Roughly 4 inches down. Stock dd coil hit it but not nearly as hard. May have dug it may not,..again numbers slightly jumpier

Dug some more but that was it on the direct comparisons. Was just short on time.

Another junk target,..the very small piece of can slaw hit hard as a nickel-ish also. Even had the double beep I've got so many times on all the clad Ive dug with both these machines.

Another target was a small spent pistol/rifle slug,..

You can check it out in the pics. That's it minus a few more rusty nails.

Take away for the day for me: I love this coil. Completely different experience. Targets within its range are sharper with the better separation I expected. Was not disappointed on that. Depth ran around 6 give or take for a few of the deeper pieces. I'm able to put this coil ANYWHERE I want it. It'll get around all the vegetation/dead limbs/ you name it. Big advantage there. It is said when researching these smaller coils that they are more sensitive to small targets. I want to say for me this is an understatement. As a put my little pile in the floorboard of the truck it then struck me at the average size of the stuff I had in my hand. Really never thought that much about it while hunting. The coil didn't just find it,..it hammered on every piece shown. So,....after getting back home and while on my mower the thought hit me,..............................well what the hell was all those "can signals" I passed up????? :BangHead:,......and no I'm not kidding........ I get fooled on occasion with a can almost every hunt here and there(smashed ones),.some I dig just to be sure of. But there were several today that sounded huge that I'll be honest I didn't check in multiple directions. I really wasn't prepared for that difference. So to say this coil is sensitive to small targets IMHO could be better stated "it makes the tiny big,..and the small real Big".
Before my next hunt next week I'm gonna take some swings over some coins to check out the audio.

There you have it gents,..I did have a few nature encounters as well,..enjoy the pics. Should be able to get out one day next week. HH-Aaron

Attachments

• Loyds Pendant MD hunt 017.jpg
    Loyds Pendant MD hunt 017.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 134
  • Loyds Pendant MD hunt 015.jpg
    Loyds Pendant MD hunt 015.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 141
  • Loyds Pendant MD hunt 016.jpg
    Loyds Pendant MD hunt 016.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 137
  • Loyds Pendant MD hunt 014.jpg
    Loyds Pendant MD hunt 014.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 148
  • Loyds Pendant MD hunt 003.jpg
    Loyds Pendant MD hunt 003.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 147
  • Loyds Pendant MD hunt 002.jpg
    Loyds Pendant MD hunt 002.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 159
Last edited:

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great write-up thanks :)

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! What kind of tones are you running on the two?

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could also try 2 tones on the f75 2L and 2n I believe give a lower iron report and then go over and adjust your audio pitch up high. It will carry over from AM to disc. Will definitely be more alerting over a non ferrous target barely getting through.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Lots of luck..

OP
OP
A

aaroncr

Dec 29, 2016
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could also try 2 tones on the f75 2L and 2n I believe give a lower iron report and then go over and adjust your audio pitch up high. It will carry over from AM to disc. Will definitely be more alerting over a non ferrous target barely getting through.

Interesting,..just recently getting more familiar with the f/75.,..and all its bells and whistles. I know what the audio pitch is but have not adjusted it yet. I actually went out this morning for a bit with no real luck. Went out to the old crumbled down homestead on the wifes famliyl farm,..I dug an old hoe and some junk there first time I went.....there is some pics of it on another thread. Just a growed up mess in the woods. Today I tried to really focus on the inside parameters of where the house actually was with the machines. Dug some little metal clips of some kind...got into a whole nest of them. Like I said nothing good but ill clean'em up and look at them a little later. Was still a good morning. Ran some 0-10 disc on both machines and some all metal also. Spent a lot of time today in DP tones ,...had listened to it before but never really gave it a whole hunt to try. ,..thanks again for the heads-up. -Aaron

Hsimmons75

Dec 22, 2016
Lawrence Co., PA
Detector(s) used
1st Texas Titan 9000 (BH Time Ranger), Teknetics Patriot 11"DD with NEL Sharpshooter and Hunter, Deteknix X Pointer Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice review. I just noticed the pics of the wildlife. They escaped me when i read this on tapatalk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread