Magician coins - how to open

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
The best way is to put it into a mason jar and shake. Let us know what is inside.

HH,
65GT350

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
I hear that some people get a spoon and gently tap the edges until it opens up. Be sure to let us know what's inside.

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's one of the spy coins (half dollar or quarter) they come with a unlocking ring.

You basically press it through a couple rings to unlock it.

You can see a pic of it by entering spy coin into google.

I found a guy on a coin forum that said he opened one by shaking it between two pans here:

http://www.cointalk.com/t87670-2/

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
a guy found one about a year ago and posted about it. if i remember right he said he put it in the freezer for a while and took it out. as the coin begin to warm up he kept working with it and it opened. guess it would be worth a try

OP
OP
AGCoinHunter

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input guys.

Got it open last night after repeatedly tossing it on a granite countertop. It seemingly poped open fairly easy after a few good wacks. Once I got it open there was appeares to be a Mexican Centavo. Cool coin, wish there had been some silver in these bags too...

I only found because I was rim searching and then dropping them into my dump bag from a few feet. Gave a nice dull thud and I knew immediately it was hollow.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I was going to suggest the same thing. I take mine and slam them down onto the countertop. It pops open, and amazingly NEVER seems to damage them.

I've found too. As in "too" many of these worthless things. You can't cash tehm back in, and after you get a few the novelty wears off and you just hate that you lost $0.50.

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
As and avid coin roll hunter and a professional magician, you should know that some of those "Magic Coins" can be worth $20 or $30 dollars when bought new at a magic shop. I would think any magic shop would buy it off you for some cash, maybe not much but it would be better than spending it.

Gordon

PS my web site is GordonRuss.com

http://gordonthemagician.com/

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I had no idea such a coin even existed. Very cool. I wonder how many of these get passed over each week without anyone even knowing it?

What would be really cool is if you had one that was also double headed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread