Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I have one. I posted it quite some time ago, but still haven't been able to open it. It has a groove around the edge that looks like it was machined, so it looks like I could put a knife blade in and pop it open. I haven't tried that yet, but I've dropped it on the floor, shook it up in a jar. All I did was dull the edge all the way around. How do I open it? And if it's not a magic coin, why would there be a groove around it. BTW, it's a 1971 Ken if that helps.

Upvote 0

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
TooManyHobbies said:
I think I have one. I posted it quite some time ago, but still haven't been able to open it. It has a groove around the edge that looks like it was machined, so it looks like I could put a knife blade in and pop it open. I haven't tried that yet, but I've dropped it on the floor, shook it up in a jar. All I did was dull the edge all the way around. How do I open it? And if it's not a magic coin, why would there be a groove around it. BTW, it's a 1971 Ken if that helps.

If it is a magic coin it will sound different when you clank it against a regular clad. It will have sort of a hollow sound. I find these as part of my hunting and initially think I missed a silver (by rim searching) cause when I clank the stack of coins together it sounds almost like there is a silver in there, or at least different enough for me to look at it.

If your coin feels and sounds like a regular 71, then it probably is just that. I had a magic coin I could not open once and it bugged me so much I used some tools to open it, although the coin was ruined after that.

Jim

hellsbells

Jan 1, 2009
my mind
I had a magic coin I could not open once and it bugged me so much I used some tools to open it, although the coin was ruined after that.[/quote]

lol

I have yet to find a magicians coin myself, anyone have numbers on finding one?

thanks

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Put it in the freezer for a while and the shake it in a jar.

Hellsbells - they aren't too rare and easy to miss.
I have a full roll of various kinds of them.

OP
OP
TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks TXTim, I'll try it.

buffhunter

May 30, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
I have 26 of which 10 I have not been able to open yet. I have tried shaking them in a jar only to have the jar break. What a mess there. i was told that they sometimes will pop if you put them in boiling water- something about the air expanding and popping the back off. I have not tried the freezer yet, but the wife might find a few in there in the morning.

As for frequency of finding them, I have been CRH for many, many years and only started finding them last year. This may be due to the fact that I used to rewrap my halves and deposit them back at the bank, and now i use machines that reject the magicians coins. My dump banks only started installing coin counters over the past two years.

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
If it doesn't open from being in the freezer or the glass jar,
set it free their will be many more.
I put Little notes in mine saying (stop poaching my silver)then
through them back.

MarkinIa

Nov 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-505
Try throwing it down on the counter, on its edge.
I have only been through about 15000.00 in halves and I have found 1 magic coin, 2 that have heads on both sides and 1 with tails on both sides.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread