Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have talked to Canadian hunters about this because most of their coins now have steel in them

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We tried it years ago in Illinois, and pulled about 5 0r 6 guns out of an irrigation ditch. I want to get another one though since I found out where the local sheriff used to dump confiscated guns years ago.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
How do you get bullets with a magnet? Most bullets are made of brass and lead.......NGE

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NGE said:
How do you get bullets with a magnet? Most bullets are made of brass and lead.......NGE

A lot of the videos of magnet fishing are from Russia and Germany I think, I've seen a few and they do pull up bullets, but only because a lot of military ammo had a steel core rather than lead.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the heads up Ken. I learn somethimg new every day. Who says ya can't teach an old dog new tricks?.........NGE

OP
OP
dirtangel1

dirtangel1

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the comments about magnet fishing. I also watched a video where a magnet is lowered into a dry well. The guys pulled out a number of weapons. I am trying to think of something other than weapons to hunt. In another video two guys made a living out of pulling scrap from a dock off a harbor. They filled their trucks up with huge pieces of metal objects. I believe it was in Holland. Guns , bullets not for me but I happy to share the message for those who collect such objects. :)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NGE said:

Eastern Bloc surplus. They use(d) steel case for some ofthe cartridge cases and even the bullet jackets. Hard on bores.

WOLF still makes and sells civilian steel case hunting ammo. I have some in 7.62 x 54R.

OP
OP
dirtangel1

dirtangel1

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys here is why I am intrigued.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread