Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Falcon MD20
Garrett 1500
Fisher F2
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Diane and I just purchased a used travel trailer (trying to get our retirement ducks in a row) and decided that our first trip should be to the GPAA gold show in Fresno. After arriving in the RV park (which was one step away from a swamp due to the recent rains) we managed to get the trailer leveled and most of the appliances working. The hot water heater was cranky and I did not get it going until the second day. Undaunted, we sallied forth to the show intending to arrive at least a half an hour early to have a chance at the vials of gold given to the first 100 customers. Upon arrival, we were surprised to see a line of people already extending 400 yards from the entrance...(so much for the gold vials). The show was packed with 1200 people and the crowds around some vendors tables were three deep. My friend Rob (who owns 49'er mining supply) was inundated with business so I got behind the counter to give him a hand....and ended up working there all day selling maps, crevassing tools and demonstrating the blue bowl. Sunday was a bit slower which allowed Diane and I to trade off behind the counter and check out the show.
I had arranged to meet with some forum members and was glad to talk to Vini in person (see pics identifying him in my gold show video) Unfortunately, I did miss out on meeting some other members who attended (we will have to get T-shirts or secret recognition buttons to wear next time)
The fact that I was helping out a friend probably saved me a bunch of money because I was salivating over some of the dredges, finishing sluices and trommels at the show.
The trip back up the mountains to our home near the north entrance of Yosemite was solid rain and wind (no fun when you are pulling a 22 ft trailer). The 150 mile trip took 5 hours and left me with a case of the yips and twitches. But all was well, we arrived home safe and are looking forward to our next adventure.
Rick

S

seger98

Nice photo show, the wife & I are fulltime RVer's & I pull a 30' around, the only thing I hate when traveling are the semi's they like to push me around with the wind draft!

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Hi Rick,
That looks like a pretty interresting show. Never been to one and know almost nothing about mining. You mentioned
a crevassing tool. Would that be something like a crowbar for prying in a crevass or crack? Several years ago we passed through Virginia City, Montana. I did a little panning in one of their boxes set up in town. Then I bought a pan and
later stopped at the stream near there and panned for about 2 or 21/2 hours. No gold but I got a few garnets. That's
was lots of fun. Would have done it longer but my wife wanted to move on. We had a little camper and we had a meal
right there. That whole trip was a world of fun. I brought the pan home, but aventually I threw it away.It got rusty from lack of use here in Michigan.

Nice video, thanks for sharing.

Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread