Mailbox Finds-Some Montana Artifacts

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mailbox Finds-Some Montana Artifacts

I did a little trading with a member on the AACA boards and just got my package in the mail on Saturday and boy am I pleased with it. I sent him some Pipestone, some nice Pottery Rim Shards, and some Ft Ancient artifacts and he sent me back some really nice Scrapers, Flake Tools, a couple of nice points, and a lot of material from southwest Montana including lots of agates, some obsidian, some nice cherts, some petrified wood, and some killer fossils. I think it was a great trade since we both some nice pieces from our general areas.

Here's a few pics of the tray I put together of the artifacts he sent. Everything in the tray is either a point, a scraper, or a flake tool of some kind. The little white point is now the smallest point I own and the thinnest as well. I have never seen such a thin, delicate point in my life. The one picture is a close up showing the very fine flaking on the best flake tool in the bunch.

There's also a picture of the material he sent me. There are some fine looking examples of southwestern Montana lithics in this bunch. Almost every piece is is highly translucent.

Also a picture of a really nice fossil and of a nice large Scraper that wouldn't fit in the tray.

Attachments

• Montana Pieces1.jpg
    Montana Pieces1.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 258
  • Montana Pieces9.jpg
    Montana Pieces9.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 249
  • Montana Pieces6.jpg
    Montana Pieces6.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 238
  • Montana Pieces7.jpg
    Montana Pieces7.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 222
  • Montana Pieces8.jpg
    Montana Pieces8.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 231
  • Montana Pieces4.jpg
    Montana Pieces4.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 235
  • Montana Pieces11.jpg
    Montana Pieces11.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 225
  • Montana Pieces12.jpg
    Montana Pieces12.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 230
  • Montana Pieces13.jpg
    Montana Pieces13.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 221
  • Montana Pieces2.jpg
    Montana Pieces2.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 235
Upvote 0

Bluesy

Jul 27, 2009
Missouri
Re: Mailbox Finds-Some Montana Artifacts

Wow, that is a fantastic collection, Dorkfish! What is the piece in your hand in the second to last pic? Thanks for sharing your "mailbox finds" - all I find in my mailbox are bills! :D

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark

I get bills in my mailbox too. Totally awesome displays. I too, would like to know what is in your hand.

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That piece in my hand is a couple of fossils still in the matrix. There is a mussel shell on one end and what looks like a snail shell on the other. You can also see it in the picture with all of the material he sent me.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice display Steve. Don't you just love mailbox finds, I know I do.
Thanks for showing us..

Which reminds me, I need to show you my frame with those teeth in it. Looks pretty cool.

Molly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread