Maine dig finds

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son and I got out a little bit the other day for a little dig action..We didn't actually kill it but we found a few.These are off an Archaic site..The first pic I'm calling a stemmed knife a first here.The second are a couple points the larger of the two is pretty rough.My son found it and I told him ugly kid ugly point.Good thing he loves me .The third picture is a tipless knife and a small piece of slate bayonet.The last picture is some type of tool with a wide middle.Not sure if it was finished or not... View attachment 1500 367[/ATTACH] IMAG2425.jpg IMAG2427.jpg IMAG2426.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here just 1 pic popped up

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's better ..... All of them are nice finds some of them are very crude the last pic is different too do you think it was some type of hammer or maybe an unfinished axe. How deep were these found? Also I have a question it seems like you have mastered digging and having good results I have a spot that is a beach I find a lot of good stuff on the surface and have sifted and found stuff too but on 90% of the beach I hit a hard clay layer. Some places it sand for the first 2" than clay others are sand for 6" than clay. Do you recommend trying to dig deeper thru the clay or is it most likely artifacts would remain on top of the clay? Any advice or suggestions I would appreciate.

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crude pretty much works to describe these..The tool is different I have probably twenty some wood working tools from this site and this one is unique...I have been fortunate to have access to this site..Most of my fines are at the most ten inches down.Some just a few inches under the surface.Also a few in the stream when it's shallow enough to wade...I'm afraid I've never dug a beach so I wouldn't be much help there...but I'm guessing I'd stop at the clay...

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crude pretty much works to describe these..The tool is different I have probably twenty some wood working tools from this site and this one is unique...I have been fortunate to have access to this site..Most of my fines are at the most ten inches down.Some just a few inches under the surface.Also a few in the stream when it's shallow enough to wade...I'm afraid I've never dug a beach so I wouldn't be much help there...but I'm guessing I'd stop at the clay...

Thank you sir I appreciate the info and suggestions. Good luck the rest of the season hopefully the ground stays soft and the weather warm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread