Maine laws regarding metal detecting 1600-1800s / "colonial cellar holes

Hunter S.

Jul 31, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maine laws regarding metal detecting 1600-1800's / "colonial cellar holes

Hi there, I am just trying to figure out if there is some law against detecting at what could have been colonial sites? I am not asking because I think there is something wrong with it, but because I just saw a youtube comment that said it was and before I go and get a hefty fine, I was just wondering weather it is or not.

Thanks~
Hunter S.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Hi there, I am just trying to figure out if there is some law against detecting at what could have been colonial sites? I am not asking because I think there is something wrong with it, but because I just saw a youtube comment that said it was and before I go and get a hefty fine, I was just wondering weather it is or not.

Thanks~
Hunter S.

No, not all cellar hole sites are "against the law". Whoever said that on the youtube comment was mistaken. It would depend on where the exact location, of the particular cellar hole in question, was at. Because Maine is a big state, with all different levels of land ownership (Fed, state, county, city, and private lands). And within the various govt. levels, there are subsections of types of land as well. For example, the state might have wide road right-of-ways along state routes (where the roadsides extend out quite a ways after the edge of the pavement). As opposed to state land for Maine state parks. Or county park land, vs county emminent domain land. And even various types federal land (blm, military, fed parks, etc...). So to really answer your question, you'd have to know where the spot in question was at.

But if it's just in the middle of the forest somewhere ...... well ..... is anyone really around to care?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread