maine odds

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This I have no idea about it was found on a very productive archaic site.It's about ten inches long.It looks like you can see where they were shaping the center to make a tool....mjm IMAG0049.jpg

Upvote 0

chase2

May 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
J, I have no clue? looks like it could be a lid of sorts but you know more of those artifacts up there.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if that was a big stack they couldnt get around? You find some of the most interesting pieces maine

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses....It looks like they were making a tool out of the center piece.Check out the flip side.You can see where the same type of reduction was started..mjm 1452627912573-1603302395.jpg

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the responses....It looks like they were making a tool out of the center piece.Check out the flip side.You can see where the same type of reduction was started..mjm QUOTE]

Well, you do find many adz and gouges. Probably the start of one such....

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
yeah....does it look like one of your finished pieces?

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it has the shape.If you were to take the center piece out as a whole.I wouldn't have guessed that would be the way they would bo about it.Most of my tools are pecked but not all...mjm

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well it has the shape.If you were to take the center piece out as a whole.I wouldn't have guessed that would be the way they would bo about it.Most of my tools are pecked but not all...mjm

I would not guess such a method either, and from the few preforms of gouges I have seen, that was not the method at all. It does not make much sense, since they very likely could find a suitable sized elongated cobble to peck and grind into the desired tool form. This would seem a more impractical approach, and natives were seldom impractical I should expect.....

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree completely most of these tools keep to a basic design and technique of manufacture...every once in awhile they throw me a curve with some of their lesser quality stuff...mjm I

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JMO It looks to be a stack, in the 1st photo it looks like the stone changes color around the center. Atool with that high ridge would not be very user friendly . Cool find:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions