Major Merc Score (2 solid rolls plus!!)

cuttybce

Feb 16, 2010
Western PA
Just when I thought I had seen it all....

I am currently in a state of shock.

Today I returned to the Citizens Bank branch at my local Giant Eagle north of Pittsburgh to buy $400 in dimes. This is the same branch that produced my solid Merc roll score last April.

About one-third of the way through opening the rolls, I opened one with a very nondescript brown wrapper and saw a Merc head smiling at me. Further review showed 57 of them smiling back at me...all from the 1940's and all in decent shape. Yes, 57 of them in one roll.

Once I was able to pick myself up off the ground, I kept going and found another wrapper that looked like the Merc roll. This one was partially open and had (what else?) a Merc head at the end. Imagine my surprise when it was ANOTHER SOLID ROLL OF MERC'S and also had seven extras!!!!

Total take: 114 Merc dimes and 4 silver Roosies!!!!!!!

Pictures to come later (my wife has our only camera).

Remember - IT'S STILL OUT THERE!!

HH,
cuttybce

Attachments

• 5144f5911b9e8f2c1331237305.jpeg
    5144f5911b9e8f2c1331237305.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 784
    38.9 KB · Views: 782
Upvote 0

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on the find, now could you give me the GPS coordinates so I can go grab the quarters and half dollars that person also cashed in for groceries?

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DUDE way to go! Now go beat down the door to get the rest of thier dimes beg borrow,,lol

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
cuttybce said:
Just when I thought I had seen it all....

I am currently in a state of shock.

Today I returned to the Citizens Bank branch at my local Giant Eagle north of Pittsburgh to buy $400 in dimes. This is the same branch that produced my solid Merc roll score last April.

About one-third of the way through opening the rolls, I opened one with a very nondescript brown wrapper and saw a Merc head smiling at me. Further review showed 57 of them smiling back at me...all from the 1940's and all in decent shape. Yes, 57 of them in one roll.

Once I was able to pick myself up off the ground, I kept going and found another wrapper that looked like the Merc roll. This one was partially open and had (what else?) a Merc head at the end. Imagine my surprise when it was ANOTHER SOLID ROLL OF MERC'S and also had seven extras!!!!

Total take: 114 Merc dimes and 4 silver Roosies!!!!!!!

Pictures to come later (my wife has our only camera).

Remember - IT'S STILL OUT THERE!!

HH,
cuttybce

Congrats! I found 4 solid rolls last month myself, its an awesome feeling.

Now you have 2 things you can do.

1: Call them up and ask them if they have any customer wrapped rolls for sale. If they say they do but that they are low on dimes, offer to bring in unopened boxes of mint dimes to swap them out with. That is what I did.

2: Much like above but if they say yes, buy all you can. if you are limited on funds, ask them to concentrate on getting you the specific kind of rolls you are looking for.

Also, try to get all the customer rolls out of the tellers drawers as you can. I believe that was where my 1st roll of mercs came from before I purchased all I could from their vault.

Good luck, hope you score more.

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Nice find, looks like our area is producing!

P.S. I won't hit that place up for quarters or other coins.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is cold, wet and windy. Trying to stay inside, now I guess it is time to go to the bank. Toss some of your luck my way. :blob7:

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great score indeed, WOW !!

Be on the lookout in all those Mercs for the elusive 1916 - D , if you got one thats worth a bit of coin :-)

As mentioned by others I would go back and ask if they have anymore CWR stuff and buy it all.

HH
Bigheed

rocky raccoon

Jan 24, 2012
nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ho..............

Attachments

• lone_ranger_crop.jpg
    lone_ranger_crop.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 705
  • lone_ranger_crop.jpg
    lone_ranger_crop.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 698
OP
OP
C

cuttybce

Feb 16, 2010
Western PA
Here they are......my wife came home with the camera.

Attachments

38.9 KB · Views: 809

mishra142

Oct 4, 2011
Giant eagle in settlers ridge??

I was just in Robinson today for a road trip I didn't realize there was a branch in the giant eagle I saw it on google maps and was lookin for a branch.... No!!!!! Lol nice find btw

Dekay

Dec 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is some sweet stuff right there! Congratulations, cuttybce. May you keep on rolling! Find the rest.

HH Dave

OP
OP
C

cuttybce

Feb 16, 2010
Western PA
mishra142 said:
Giant eagle in settlers ridge??

I was just in Robinson today for a road trip I didn't realize there was a branch in the giant eagle I saw it on google maps and was lookin for a branch.... No!!!!! Lol nice find btw

I know right where that is, but it wasn't Settlers Ridge. It was in the North Hills.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
FingerGrime said:
Nice find. I wouldn't tell everyone where you got them though...

Aint that the truth. If I were near there I would be walking in with $1500 to buy every dime they have to going out to get boxes to replace all their cwr's :D

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Nice finding a solid roll of silver dimes, better still all Mercs, and then to get an extra 7 in the roll, don't think any way it could get any better than that unless you doubled it. Way to go!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Congrats!!!!

I've found 3 Mercs or so in my life...I cannot imagine getting a solid roll or two.

What is the exact address...I am only an 8 hour drive from there...I'd like to Mapquest it. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread