Major Props to anyone who can translate this post card!

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this really nice post card from 1908. Got it for a buck and I am starting to think I should pick up some cool postcards when I find em! Anyways can anyone translate or even read this writing? Would seriously be great if anyone could figure it out, love to know what they're saying!!
20160904_184959_resized.jpg

DiamondDan

Apr 21, 2016
Robbinsdale, MN
Detector(s) used
White's M6; Tesoro Compadre; Minelab E-trac; Bounty Hunter QD2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm.... I think it's Dutch.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Old postcards can be very collectible. I, personally, have a very difficult time reading other people's handwriting, but you should be able to use Bing or Google and try having their translator help figure out what language. From there, would be easy to find a forum or website in that country that could translate it for you. ...But hopefully someone here will be able to read it. Just keep bumping the thread every day or two.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Made in Germany and addressing Hare (Mister) is kind of a give away! go to a college or school that teaches the German language for a translation. there are several country's that use the German dialect.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not that interested BUT, why don't you type it into Google Translate? 8-)

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
"Hare" may be a dead giveaway for some folks, but even to this day, I only speak "Texan". :laughing7:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made in Germany and addressing Hare (Mister) is kind of a give away! go to a college or school that teaches the German language for a translation. there are several country's that use the German dialect.

The spelling for that would be Herr.

cb73

Sep 9, 2016
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's Danish

I think that first line is actually a name--Karl Starga.....

The next line "jeg skal gaa" is "I have to go"

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Translation is easy, just put yourself in the shoes of the one who origianally sent the card....clearly it reads...
"Hello!....we are having a great time, there were a few delays, but we made it here safely. We wish you were here, can't wait to get back home, miss you all, love and kisses to all"

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys I appreciate it! I would easily throw this up on google translate, only problem is that I am having a very hard time deciphering the writing. It's incredibly hard to read at least for me haha!

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Translation is easy, just put yourself in the shoes of the one who origianally sent the card....clearly it reads...
"Hello!....we are having a great time, there were a few delays, but we made it here safely. We wish you were here, can't wait to get back home, miss you all, love and kisses to all"

haha this is gold

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google says it's Danish - "jeg skal gaa" translates as "I have to go" . . .

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Google says it's Danish - "jeg skal gaa" translates as "I have to go" . . .

Totally missed cb73 saying the exact same thing days earlier, so here, I will redeem myself:
I'm pretty good at reading old handwriting, but since I don't know the language, that makes it harder. But "jeg var fardig saeder var for sens mur jeg skal sende dem a Mergen Afpen vest" = "I finished seeder was too late Mother I will send them tomorrow evening west."

Then the next bit is "I you can get"

I would be curious about the postmark and address of the person it was mailed to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread