Major Silver potential... and restricted access! Oh Yeah!

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to spend my last four weeks while we are still assigned to Eglin AFB in Florida, hunting this former family housing area on the base. All of them built between 1955 and 1962. Still standing in 1969 but all demolished now with open fields.
The beauty of this situation is the restricted access to the base, which means that those fields are essentially virgin from MD'ing. Should be a plethora of dropped silver in the front yards, and play areas in the open areas behind the housing circles.
Research was easy. 1969 aerial photos against current Google satellite photos of the same area. Check it out!

1969Housing.jpg ClearedHousing1.jpg

Attachments

• ClearedHousing.jpg
    ClearedHousing.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 45

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely let us know how it goes! Awesome potential for silver. Please take some pictures of your finds!

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice research. Could be gold mine, or I suppose that would be a silver mine. =)
Good luck, and happy hunting!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good Luck and Happy Hunt! :occasion14:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So when you get to Oklahoma can you get me permission at Tinker? JK....but hey that looks like fun....

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to discourage you, but did you know it is illegal to metal detect on government property? Better check with the base first before you go off detecting and the MP's shows up and confiscate your metal detector!

I am in the Army and I tried/asked about metal detecting on several bases, (I was stationed at), around older vacant/abandoned homes/buildings/lots and was told, "NO and if they see me they will confiscate my equipment!" and also told me it was illegal! I wasn't happy being some of these buildings and lots were around in mid 1800's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SittingElf

SittingElf

Feb 25, 2018
Palm Bay, FL, and Air Force Bases in FL and OK
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 300 (x2 For Wife and Son), Ground Hawg, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Pro-Find 35, SoundClean9 APTX LL Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to discourage you, but did you know it is illegal to metal detect on government property? Better check with the base first before you go off detecting and the MP's shows up and confiscate your metal detector!

I am in the Army and I tried/asked about metal detecting on several bases, (I was stationed at), around older vacant/abandoned homes/buildings/lots and was told, "NO and if they see me they will confiscate my equipment!" and also told me it was illegal! I wasn't happy being some of these buildings and lots were around in mid 1800's.
Not a problem where I am. If fact Security Forces often stop and chat about what I'm finding. It makes a huge difference if you are military vs someone who has come off the street and gained access.
Air Force doesn't seem to have a problem with it. I guess it depends on where you are. Eglin AFB is no problem.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a problem where I am. If fact Security Forces often stop and chat about what I'm finding. It makes a huge difference if you are military vs someone who has come off the street and gained access.
Air Force doesn't seem to have a problem with it. I guess it depends on where you are. Eglin AFB is no problem.

Yeah I am still serving, was still serving when I had inquired. Alot of old unused buildings and grounds from the mid 1800's at Ft Sam Houston, TX, and Ft Hauchuca AZ! I mean I KNOW, some of them old buildings and grounds has some silver or maybe a gold piece dropped around there somewhere! Family housing during that time also would of had kids around there dropping things!

I guess I never should of asked for permission, (I always explain, (when asked about it), (I do not dig holes that usually everything is on the ground in the grass), (so they won't think I am digging BIG holes), given the reasons they always told me "NO you can't, it's illegal on federal property", then if I was seen, maybe the MP's would just either ask me what I found and keep moving on, or tell me I couldn't do it and confiscate whatever I found plus my detector!

Maybe I should take my cheap bounty hunter and go out one day and go detect and if I get stopped, and they take my bounty hunter, I am only out $50! Certainly don't want to try it with my $2,000 Garrett!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey... work it whilst you can / are allowed.

And work it as often... and as well as you possibly can.

Post up your finds here ... I am curious... as well as others here I am sure.

Well done on the initiative and good luck on future workings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread