Make Sure You Know EXACTLY what is in dump bag. 2 Bad Exp.

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
My biggest worry since starting this a 2 months ago has happened 2 times in past week. Here is the fear - What if I dump alot of coins and teller comes back and tells me my total is way less than what I know is in bag.

Last week - - Drove back to Illinois and stopped at a Wells Fargo to drop $700.00 in dimes. Teller comes back and tells me the total is $654.00
Tonight - - Dumped $750.00 in Halves at a local Wells Fargo and teller comes back and tells me my total is $572.00.

Both cases were at Wells Fargo - Some in my area have counters in lobby and I have never had a miscount - some do not and are behind the counter; this is when the problems occurred.

I always know the exact total as everything that gets taken out gets put back in with a clad so my total is ALWAYS what I started with. In both cases, the tellers ran the entire counter again and compared totals before and after my coins went in. Both said the machine totals were right. I stated my case and told them I know the exact amount and this was not just a piggy bank getting cashed in. Tonight, I even brought in my two boxes of halves - One was empty with all the wrappers and the other was half full, thus totaling the $750. After I explained the process of how I and my kids go through the coins (looking to fill their books, wink wink) both tellers did pay me the difference with one clearly uncomfortable and thinking I was scamming her and the other acknowledging that the counter could have been off all day.

I am sure most everyone here knows exactly what is in their dump bag, but even if you have a "approximate amount" - - Get the exact amount so you have ammunition if you run into what I did. Had I not been so straightforward in telling them about how I knew the exact amount, I really don't know if they would have given me back the difference. If you start saying words like, "about" or, "there should be close to...." I think you will eat the difference.

That is the one problem I have with dumping at many different banks - - these tellers do not know me at all, unlike the tellers I order and pickup from each week. If I put myself in their shoes, heck, I am just a stranger who they have never seen before telling them they owe me more than what their counter is telling them. I just think if I had not pleaded my case so convincingly, I would be out a lot of money. Always know exactly what is in your dump bag, to the penny.

Upvote 0

FL Junkman

Feb 13, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70 and Silver U-Max
Excellent advice. I always try to dump the same amount each time at the same bank and then if I have problems and I have, I always refer to what I usually dump and the deposit records back this up, (I always deposit my dumps). This sort of re-enforces that you know what you are dumping and gives you a little something concrete that your story is true and you are not trying to scam anyone. Just my theory and it has worked for me. HH

FL Junkman

OP
OP
MentalUnrest

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Excellent idea about keeping dumps the same and depositing them. Gives you a kind of paper trail - I like that lot, thanks!

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why is the money ever out of your sight? Are Wells Fargo's counters not in the lobby?

Nick

OP
OP
MentalUnrest

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
In my area, There are some WF that have the counters in lobby and there are some that do not have this, thus the coins are being taken back to a room and counted. I have about 10 branches near me and less than half have counters in lobby. Never had a problem with the self serve lobby counters.

gold eye

Jan 2, 2010
tampa fl
Detector(s) used
garret masterhunter 7x ace 250
I say send in your cat he will straighten out the tellers for you i would just use the self serve counters only happy hunting. Ron

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had a serious problem with a count. The machines that I go to are dead on. I like to be cautious however, and so I write down the total on a slip of paper. That way, if the count is off, I can show the teller the slip of paper. You may want to give that a try.

The only time that one of my counts came back incorrect was when the machine jammed, and the teller threw some coins that had passed the counter back into the hopper. I saw her do it, and thought to myself, "this ones gonna be off." She cleared the jam, and started the counter again. The difference was only 13 bucks or so, and in my favor, but I showed her my total, and she admitted that she'd made a mistake when the thing jammed. She told the manager about it, and they thanked me and credited my account for the correct amount.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
I have had good luck arguing nicely when i know i got shorted. But even more important is to realize that even a "dead on" machine may make a mistake especially if you overload it.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CardsNCoins said:
Why is the money ever out of your sight? Are Wells Fargo's counters not in the lobby?

Nick

I never heard of Wells Fargo's "counters" behind the counter...Good to know that we use the same Dump Bank :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread