Making 3 pixs into 1

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your 3 pics were shot with overlapping edges, it'll be simple. Find the duplicated points in each photo; trim the photos on a straight line on these points; slid the edges together and tape. When trimming the photos, you'll need a very sharp blade. A public library could possibly have a paper cutter that would work. Or get a metal straight edge ( I found a metal ruler at Wal-Mart) and a scalpel. Whatever method you use, be very careful because you can slice YOURSELF just as easily and the photos.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pegleglooker said:
Thankx Sortstack,
I meant how do you do it digitally???

PLL

OH WOW. MY BAD. Ok, digitally. :tard:
Have you tried using the Windows Movie Maker that comes bundled with Windows XP? Seems like you could splice stills together just like splicing movies. Pull in all of the photos, in order. Then slide the 2 photos over, one at a time, to the points that they overlap.

Just remembered another method. If you are wanting to stack the 3 photos to make it seem items from each photo are together in ONE photo, use the "layering" technique in any good photo application software.

mclmm

Sep 29, 2008
Photoshop works well, but Paintshop Pro works as well.

I just photoshopped a 47 photo aerial imagery run into one big image (they all overlap), so I think I know what you're trying to do.

This will be pretty meaningless until you get your head around using the software, but here goes...

1. create a new blank or transparent image and specify the size e.g. 12" x 12". Set the resolution to around 300 dpi

2. Open your middle image in photoshop (leaving the new blank image open).

3. Hold down the ctrl button on your keyboard and press the A key once - that puts a rectangle around the whole image - known as "selecting" it.

4. Hold down the ctrl button and press the C key once - that copies everything inside the rectangle.

5. Go to the window menu and click on the blank image (should be called untitled.psd) - this brings it to the front.

6. Hold down the ctrl button on the keyboard and press the V key once - this pastes the copied image into blank one. It should end up in the very middle of the blank image. If it's really small, then select the magnifying glass from the toolbar (zoom tool) and click on the image until it fills about half the screen.

7. Go to the file menu and click "open". Find the left side image and repeat items 1 through 6.

8. On the toolbar you'll see an icon which looks like a black cross with arrow ends. Click on this - it allows you to move the left side image around the screen. You can now place it in as close to the right place as you can get it.

9. Go to the file menu again and click open. Find the right side image and repeat item 8.

10. Hopefully now you've got your pictures stitched together. They might be a little bit out of whack no matter what you do (aerial photos are like this), and there are ways to fix it beyond the scope of my instructions here.

If you look at the "Layers" palette (bottom right of the photoshop screen), you'll see that there are four layers. Unless you want to fiddle around some more, you're done and you need to flatten the layers. To do this, go to the "Layers" menu and select "Flatten image". Check the layers pallette again and you'll notice you only have one layer.

To save the picture you have two main options -

1. Save as a BIG jpeg file - go file > save and choose Jpeg

2. Save for web - go file >save for web and choose jpeg again - what this does is reduce the file size so you can email it and such.

Of course, photoshop has a pretty steep learning curve, so maybe just download and use Autostitch - http://www.photo-freeware.net/autostitch.php

Not as accurate, but it should work OK.

Hope it helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread