making meteorite canes?

robbor

Aug 20, 2005
Nevada
Detector(s) used
XLT, GM3, GM4b
Im gonna try my hand at making a few meteorite canes. Im wondering from others that have made them what works best. I have a graphite golfclub shaft and been eyeballing one at the thrift store that is made of titanium($3) just for kicks. Wondering what type of shaft or cane works best? Golf club, ski pole, medical cane, folding medical cane? Anyways thinking that the ski pole grips arent lending to reaching out to different objects as much as a golf shaft and that it might be nice to have them on folding canes to keep in the car. I was just using some magnets for other projects and have one 1x1 n42 cylinders left and was thinking of buying a few more so i could have 2 and i could send one or 2 to my uncle. thanks Rob

whiteknight38

Jun 15, 2007
My ski-pole cane is working fine. I used a thrift-shop, fibreglass pole with the basket cut off. I notched the tip with a dremel, as a Paleolithic hunter might have notched a shaft for a stone arrow, and put in three same-sized, curved, rare earth magnets from computer hard drives. The magnets make a stack about a 1/4" thick, and extend out like a mini-hockey stick. I cemented them in place with JB Weld - a liquid metal, 2-part epoxy. (Stronger than JB Quick)
You can use one magnet, or two, but I like the ooomph, of the triple stack.)
The "hockey stick" semi-hook shape, also makes a nice puller for seperating clumps of grass, and gentle scraping of the ground and shrub cover of the ground.
I've only ever looked at recent fall sites, like the one last month, in Grimsby, Ontario, which is light bush and field country, and out in Buzzard Coulee, Saskatchewan.
The long reach of the ski pole, means I can swing it a bit further, for objects just off my line of march in open country, or choke up on the handle for objects right in front of me.
If you want, cut the pole in half, and fit a small, cut piece of golf club into the hollow tube. I cemented one end, and made the small-tapered end of a size that will jam-fit into the lower half of the ski pole. The pole is still strong, but more portable.

Hardpan

Mar 20, 2003
Hi Guys,
I just go for simple. I put a 1" X 2" X .5" on the head of an old #3 iron that I picked up at Goodwill for 4 bucks. It has worked very well.
Ben

OP
OP
R

robbor

Aug 20, 2005
Nevada
Detector(s) used
XLT, GM3, GM4b
I made one out of a golf club shaft and also pick up a set of cane walkers. They kind of look like a detector shaft, girlfriend said after i put a magnet on them when we go to the desert she would make beeping sounds for me as i walk around ;D.

iron_foot

Feb 19, 2008
i made this one from a old golf club and the magnet wich is very powerful was taken from out of a old broken computer hard drive.

Attachments

• DSCF7781.JPG
    DSCF7781.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 934
  • DSCF7789.JPG
    DSCF7789.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 1,070

Apple-Bob

Apr 18, 2010
St George, Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I bought a graphite club at the local thrift store for $3. Cut the head off and found a circular magnet with a bolt up the middle at Ace hardware for $6.95. Poured some

Gorilla glue down the shaft and stuck the bolt down the shaft and stood it up on the magnet for about 3 days. That Gorilla glue is great stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions