Making something - Expanded metals Plus - Bonanza

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The only problem is they say they cut to size but you buy the whole sheet. Case in point, I asked for a quote on a 15x48 2# aluminum expanded grating, their list price was 680 bucks for a 4x8 sheet but with shipping it was 890. You buy the sheet and it's up to you to decide if you get the whole sheet or not.

Jan 31, 2013
Yuma, Az
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The only problem is they say they cut to size but you buy the whole sheet. Case in point, I asked for a quote on a 15x48 2# aluminum expanded grating, their list price was 680 bucks for a 4x8 sheet but with shipping it was 890. You buy the sheet and it's up to you to decide if you get the whole sheet or not.

Sadly omnicron is dead right. Metal suppliers will gladly cut to size, but like in omni's case, the shop doesn't know if they're going to sit on that 33"x48" left over piece for a day or a year so you pay for it. Also shipping becomes an issue for bigger sizes too, typically you can get a 36"x48" piece shipped UPS, but any bigger than that and 9 times out of 10 it's coming truck freight and if you have it come to your house it costs a ton. The only company that I've found that will ship even a 48" x 48" piece UPS is Grainger. If I need something odd ball I go through them, it's here quick and shipping is decent.

Thanks, Chris

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are in an industrialized area or close to one, look for metal salvage companies to see if they have any expanded items you might be able to use, price is a some above scrap price of the metal but you get what you get not exactly what you want....................63bkpkr

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are near Denver, you can look at ALRECO (11299 Brighton Rd, Henderson, CO 80640). They sell scrap Aluminum (as well as full sheets). They are open until noon on Saturdays - They don't take Credit Cards (or Debit Cards) - I always pay cash. Don't call and ask about what materials they have since anyone could come in and buy what you just asked about and it may be gone when you get there. Visit the place instead (the warehouse is behind shrubbery and you might not notice it) - there is a sign out front. Great prices on scrap material in all sorts of grades and thicknesses of Aluminum.

I often pick out sizes of material that are already cut the sizes I need. They have a huge stock of full sizes sheets as well (Getting a stock 4 foot by 12 foot sheet of Aluminum in your car may not be practical - I buy lots of smaller pieces).

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread