Making the cover of Western and Eastern 2010 Annual Issue

KEVTEC

Apr 19, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V-3 upgraded to V3I W/ SEF 15X12 Butterfly coil, White's Vision upgraded to V3I W 12 in coil, Minelab Excaliber II, Minelab E Trac, Minelab GPX 5000, Discovery TF 900 2 box, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
:icon_thumright:
First of all I would like to say that I have been hunting for over 30 yrs. to date and I am 51. To answer your question about if the magazine is worth it, I have mixed emotions on that. It is true that it is rather boring reading about Indian head coins and a few silver coins. To take it a step further, I recently had a 4 page article with pictures in the Silver And Gold annual 2010. Reading the contract and guidelines I submitted the story and photos. The process took approx. 4 months. I was told by staff that they wanted to run the article and pictures on one of the monthly issues of the magazine and a cover shot. They also told me that they wanted to do the same story on the 2010 Silver And Gold Annual. They decided to do the story only in the 2010 annual. That was fine with me, except for the fact that there is a set amount of money paid per word, and a set amount paid per photo. Also in the contract it stated they will pay $75.00 - $100.00 per photo used on the cover. Since I had 2 of my photos on the cover and the check didn't add up I called them and I was told that the only way they pay for a cover picture is if it is the only picture on the cover, yet the contract does not state that specifically and I was told that they need to edit the contract to specify that. . It was rather dishearting to say the least as other publishers wanted the story and assured me of cover exposure and money. Even the price per word and picture was more at other publishers, yet I chose Western and Eastern as it has always been my favorite of all the treasure magazines. It takes the article and photos to sell the magazine. In closing I would like to state that I do not post my daily finds as I feel instead of sitting on the computer and posting that I found a couple of dollars in clad or a silver dime, I would much rather be out hunting for the big ticket items that would merit a posting, but with my recent published find I felt it was magazine worthy to say the least, but feel I was short changed. Either way I probably won't submit another story as I am in the process after many yrs. of research about to uncover a huge find and have already started to recover some of the treasure. It's amazing when you find old tin type pictures from an area that belongs to family, and detailed instructions of things long since been above ground. Either way I just wanted to voice my opinion on the topic above. Happy hunting to all.. :dontknow:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for you sad excerience with the magazine. I had a few stories printed years ago and learned that it isn't good to have everyone know about your sucess with a metal detector. Though Everyone likes, "Atta Boys."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread