Making/working a Grid?

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive only been metal detecting for a little over a month now and i am interested in how others set up their grids when they detect? If i am doing a fairly square yard or lot, i just do a 3-4ft swing from one length then turn around 3-4ft over and do the same thing. I did search the topic before posting this without result! Thanks for any input or ideas! HH

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
HuntNdig, That is the method I use,very effectively I may add!Check North to South,then,East to West,it may surprise you!!!!!!!!!!!!!God Bless HH Chris

OP
OP
HuntNdig

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
worldtalker said:
HuntNdig, That is the method I use,very effectively I may add!Check North to South,then,East to west,it may suprise you!!!!!!!!!!!!!God Bless HH Chris

hm, i've never thought about hitting from the other direction. Simple but effective, i like it! thanks!

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Opps wrong site though it said making a working girl ???

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Griding is a last resort! Eyeball the yard, best when the sun is low. Look for the shadow of depressions or raised areas. These indicate old paths, storage buildings and burial sites"caches". Now, check out these sites plus areas around trees and around buildings. These areas will be the most productive simply because they were the most used. I find little if anything in other areas, so why waste your time and energy. Frank

OP
OP
HuntNdig

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
Griding is a last resort! Eyeball the yard, best when the sun is low. Look for the shadow of depressions or raised areas. These indicate old paths, storage buildings and burial sites"caches". Now, check out these sites plus areas around trees and around buildings. These areas will be the most productive simply because they were the most used. I find little if anything in other areas, so why waste your time and energy. Frank

ahh, i see. being fairly new i was kind of under the impression most people just worked grids...but i like the shadow approach. Thanks for the input im learning a lot!

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
trees and landscaping. amazing how much stuff you can find around old trees. coins/items fall out of kids climbing trees, people sitting under them, etc...

I think the N/S and then the E/W works because of maybe swing angle, signal angles, etc? if there is some deviations to your swing or detector?

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I grid all the time. If I don't I know I will miss stuff. I do it just like mowing the grass. Go about 30 feet then turn around and go back. To keep track of where I am going I place markers at both ends. I use the red lids you get at KFC for your mashed potatoes and stuff like that. They are the perfect size and a nice bright red color.

-Swartzie

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit what I think would be hot spots first and if I make any finds then I start a pattern. I don't make a perfect grid, I just do it like you do. If I make a good find I get more thorough. I do it for fun, and sometimes a grid pattern is not fun for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread