Makro Pinpointer Issue

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've been using my Makro pinpointer for a month or so now, and it's starting to get into spells where it vibrates indefinitely and randomly at times when holding it nowhere near metal. It came on gradually and now it's so bad that I can't use it reliably. I am wondering if this is the behavior it elicits as the battery starts to die or if I got a lemon and should send it back. I'm thinking I'll give the company a call tomorrow to see what they say about it and I'll change the battery to see if it makes a diff. Even if the battery is going out, it kind of sucks for it to behave like that, it's been getting progressively worse for weeks.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always try a new battery on any electronic device first to narrow it down. If you are still using the original battery it could very well be the problem. I change my batteries after every couple hunts wether they need it or not.

OP
OP
Brizors

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to change the batteries today but before doing that I couldn't get it to act up in the house, even though it inevitably does outside in my backyard and at the beach to the point it can be unusable. It's raining today so I will wait until it stops to use it in the backyard and see if a new battery helps. This is the second battery. It's weird though.. because the vibrations are strong, the led is bright and it is showing no signs of a low battery, on turning it on, it should beep 5 or so times as a low battery warning, but that isn't happening.

OP
OP
Brizors

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I changed the batteries and it did not help. The issue mainly happens at the beach when searching a hole and I realize it's beeping constantly no matter where i hold it, so I will hold it high in the air and move it all around and it won't stop. It seems like dropping the sens helps, but I've also noticed mine falses with pressure sometimes. I'm awaiting a response from Makro.

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I changed the batteries and it did not help. The issue mainly happens at the beach when searching a hole and I realize it's beeping constantly no matter where i hold it, so I will hold it high in the air and move it all around and it won't stop. It seems like dropping the sens helps, but I've also noticed mine falses with pressure sometimes. I'm awaiting a response from Makro.

The pointer is not a PI (pulse induction) so the mineralized sand from the salt may be making it act up. But you also stated you did this away from the ocean???? Call Makro or e-mail them. They are a great company that will take care of the issue. This is a new item so the 2 year warranty is still in force I know.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hate when something I haven't used before is new and has a problem. It makes you second guess your self. You and wondering what your doing wrong.
Good luck.

OP
OP
Brizors

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah at first I was wondering if I was doing something wrong but the fact that it happens in my backyard AND at the beach as well as falsing with pressure makes me think I got a dud. I'm not saying it's a bad pinpointer, I love the design and I hope I can send it out to get it fixed.

I emailed them on the 10th and send another one yesterday although I haven't received any sort of response jsut yet. I am hoping they are busy. I'm starting to wonder if I used the right email address. Just in case anyone sees it is wrong, I emailed "[email protected]", and I doubled checked and used their websites "have a question" feature as well.

Edit,

Ah, found the USA contact. They responded and told me to send it in for repair/replacement.

Here is the USA info if anyone stumbles across here and needs it:

Michael Bernzweig
Detector Electronics Corp.
(800) 446-0244 Toll Free US
(888) 627-5295 Toll Free Canada
(508) 460-6244 US & International
(508) 460-6247 Fax
[email protected]
http://www.metaldetector.com

Last edited:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear you are having issues, but the US distributor is top notch! They will get you fixed up quickly!

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah at first I was wondering if I was doing something wrong but the fact that it happens in my backyard AND at the beach as well as falsing with pressure makes me think I got a dud. I'm not saying it's a bad pinpointer, I love the design and I hope I can send it out to get it fixed.

I emailed them on the 10th and send another one yesterday although I haven't received any sort of response jsut yet. I am hoping they are busy. I'm starting to wonder if I used the right email address. Just in case anyone sees it is wrong, I emailed "[email protected]", and I doubled checked and used their websites "have a question" feature as well.

Edit,

Ah, found the USA contact. They responded and told me to send it in for repair/replacement.

Here is the USA info if anyone stumbles across here and needs it:

Michael Bernzweig
(508) 460-6247 Fax
[email protected]
Metal Detectors for Hobby & Security from Top Brands | MetalDetector.com

This looks like a dealers address, I believe Makro has their own web site and return address. http://www.makrodetector.com/

Last edited:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going to follow this issue with interest as I'm thinking on getting that probe.
I'd better wait for the judge and jury, right? :icon_thumright:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This looks like a dealers address, I believe Makro has their own web site and return address. Makro Detector - Best Metal Detectors Manufacturer

This would be the right number to call....

Detector Electronics is the distributor in the USA for Makro products. :)

OP
OP
Brizors

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, as I said earlier they got back to me via email and told me to ship it to the address I listed above, so I think I should be fine. The pinpointer arrived there yesterday.

SilverSeeker60

Greenie
Jan 2, 2015
Columbus, GA
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's Eagle II SL, White's 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same problem but not with the vibration...with it beeping randomly. I use the pinpointer, set it down about two feet from the hole as I dig again so as to not get a false indication from the trowel and the pinpointer starts going off all crazy like. Frustrating to say the least!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hope this issue gets resolved, been looking at this pin pointer along with the new Garrett.

OP
OP
Brizors

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So they went the route of sending me a brand new one and it arrived today. It will take a couple of outings to know whether or not the same issues remain or if it was just the first one being a lemon.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a new Makro and haven't had any problem yet (well see how it goes). But the Minelab Propointer and Vibra-Probe570 do exactly as you described at the beach (Oahu). Once it gets to motorboating or vibrating the pinpointers are useless.

My guess, since there is a ton of EMI generated around the city (where the beach is) and near the house too - the pinpointers are probably reacting to EMI. It is probably a particular freq source within the city, for all I know it's the McDonald's microwave that's causing the problem. Most likely its something powerful - like the nearby airport radars or broadcast EMI, as it doesn't do it all the time.

OP
OP
Brizors

Brizors

Nov 27, 2014
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the new Makro pinpointer they sent to replace the problem one does the same thing in regards to going off at the beach with no targets around and not stopping or changing alarm frequency until turned off and on again. I have only been on one outing to the beach with it, although out of the 10 times I pulled it out on the beach it happened maybe 3 times. It's unfortunate, but maybe this is just the nature of the frequency/technology that this particular pinpointer uses. Regardless, the led light and waterproofing already make it a plus for me, having to turn it off and on every once in a while to reset it isn't SO bad. Let's just hope it doesn't happen as frequently as my first one. Maybe the beach I detect at is a problem area for it, as well as my backyard.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread