sheepdog

May 6, 2015
Mid TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
AT Pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This will be my first machine and originally was considering $300 range but then decided to up it to $600 range so I could learn with the machine and "grow with it". So as the title implies I have it down to the Racer and AT Pro. Mainly hunting relics and coins. I live in a CW historic area so it is heavily detected as well. Here's is my debate:

AT Pro: reportedly easy to learn and use. Good depth with pro modes. Its waterproof which means for me in a heavily hunted area I couldm hit the creeks and shallow river and possibly give me an edge. Also this is a time tested and proven machine. I honestly cant find any negatives or cons.

Racer: obviously this is an awesome machine with "cutting edge" features. What appeals to me is depth, recovery, and discrimination. As the AT would give me an edge with water use I feel Racer has the land edge due to depth. As I will be mainly on land. What does concern me is the complaints or breaking coils and bolts. I also hesitate due to it being a new machine we dont know yet any potential weakness this machine may end up having.*

Fors Core: I wasn't originally considering this machine but as I was researching the racer obviously this machine is coming up.I like that technology is similar to the racer but it has epoxy coils that are reportedly heavier duty. I think it may be a little more complicated but I feel id learn any machine I purchase. I honestly due like the AT and Racer display as I feel being new having a visually aid would help me alot.

The soil in the area im in is fairly mineralized and red clay.I believe I've covered most everything. Please give me honest feedback and pros and cons if possible. THANKS! happy to be in this community.*

*sorry for grammar or spelling issues typing on cellphone isn't the easiest*

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Sheepdog-
I use the ATP and started with a entry level machine to make sure it was a hobby I would remain with. Once I was hooked, I, like you, wanted to move into a machine that I could grow with. THE ATP IS AWESOME! Different coils get different results. Pro mode is hands down incredible and the ability to hunt in water is awesome too.
The cons- the stock headphones are good for about 6 months. They are clunky, loose and have limited tonal control. They do not mask wind or outside noises well at all. I upgraded recently to the Grey Ghost Amphibians and not only are they an amazing fit, but they block out wind noise, are light weight and waterproof.

Fors Core and Racer- I know they are brothers that compete against one another using the same technology and their service center in the U.S. is Kellyco. I have read a little about them on the forums here, however in my humble opinion, the newest and latest is not always the greatest. I would go with the proven name and quality of Garrett, and, in a few years if I wanted to upgrade, I would see where those names like Fors Core and Racer (Marko) were at that time.

Good luck and HH!!!

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The service center for Racer is not Kellyco. They are the service center for Nokta. Makro has their own little place for service. The Garrett ATP has a very long and proven american made history. The Racer is still a work in progress and has been plagued by a list of issues like coils that break off and over load issues. The Makro people have tried to handle the problems but I see more and more Racers being sold by their original purchasers. One post by you, I will say welcome to T net.

OP
OP
S

sheepdog

May 6, 2015
Mid TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
AT Pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks yall. Great information! I will say, yes, the new Racer is exciting, but tried and true maybe the way to go. Plus with the AT being waterproof it likely would always have a place in my possible future collection. If I decided to get a depth beast in the future I could possibly spring for a blisstool or similar machine.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The moisture issue seems to be a growing feature that has become the deciding factor in many decisions. There is a new offering by Fisher that is coming out this month that also has the weather proof label. A good rain storm could take out a Racer with out its hat on. Good luck on your decision.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First of all, Let me welcome you to Tnet! You made a good choice to spend some time here. Be prepared to learn a lot! :thumbsup:

Tip: Putting your state into your personal info will help other people here to help you and give advice for your area.

My advice on your first detector purchase is to get one that is simple. It does not have to be inexpensive. It sounds to me like you are focused on getting the right machine right off the bat. That's important, but consider this: No detector in the world will find treasure if you do not wave the coil over it. What do I mean by this? I'm saying that the most important thing in your treasure hunting arsenal is your brain.

You need to be able to find a good place to hunt. No uber-detector is going to help you do that.

I'll suggest that you get a good and simple machine - one that provides excellent service - one that is super reliable and gives you great tone ID. I'll suggest the Tesoro Vaquero. Great machine. Rugged. Lifetime warranty.

With the phat loots you'll be finding with the Vaquero, not only will you pay for it within a short amount of time, you will be able to save up for a sweet high-end machine. All the while, you'll develop and hone your skills.

Above all - do not be afraid to ask!

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you decide on the atp(good choice)you will want the 5x8 dd coil for sure.in trashy areas or creeks a must have and the swing weight is feather light.welcome

FINDER BINDERS

Apr 23, 2015
SOUTHERN NJ
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO / WHITE 6000 DI PRO / WHITES SPECTRUM XLT / WHITES DFX / WHITES 808 DEEPSEARCH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello there!

I didn't have a choice between the two. but my father purchased for me the AT PRO. and I am smitten. the at pro can go up to 10 feet underwater! Im not sure if the other one can . but I just waterproofed my pinpointer. and im am in process of picking up either waders or a wetsuit. so I can be like aqua chigger and fine some loot!

if you do choose hopefully you will choose at pro. because I truly love mine!

OP
OP
S

sheepdog

May 6, 2015
Mid TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
AT Pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice info everyone thanks. And thanks to the welcomes im happy to be in good company

Higgy-real good insight. Thanks for that. Ill add my state. I have set up my profile yet. I always do a lot of research before bit purchases and figure the folks here are a great source of knowledge. Thanks again HH

OP
OP
S

sheepdog

May 6, 2015
Mid TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
AT Pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after of research i opted for the AT Pro. Thank you everyone for your input and help. I hope This thread will help others also. AND HUGE SHOUT OUT TO BIG BOY HOBBIES! I called and spoke with Bart and highly reccomend anyone buying gear to CALL and speak with him. He gave me a great deal and was very nice. HH yall :occasion14:

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after of research i opted for the AT Pro. Thank you everyone for your input and help. I hope This thread will help others also. AND HUGE SHOUT OUT TO BIG BOY HOBBIES! I called and spoke with Bart and highly reccomend anyone buying gear to CALL and speak with him. He gave me a great deal and was very nice. HH yall :occasion14:

Congrats!!!! You will LOVE the ATP!! Get the 5x8 coil in your Arsenal and it will blow your mind! Welcome to Tnet and of course...HH!

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great choice, Sheepdog. You won't regret it. The ATP is probably the only detector you can buy that does so much. It is easy to learn, and provides room to grow.

Kudos for buying from Bart. Get yourself a good digger and you'll be in business! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

sheepdog

May 6, 2015
Mid TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
AT Pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Diggergal and Higgy.

My total order was for AT Pro, AT Propointer, 5x8 coil, covers for stock and 5x8 coil, and a lesch tool.

Only thing ill lack now is water proof headphones for water hunts!

OP
OP
S

sheepdog

May 6, 2015
Mid TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
AT Pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newb question sorry

How do I give yall thumbs up for helping me? I cant figure this thing out.:BangHead:

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It seems like the AT PRO fan club like to bash another newer detector that may be better than the At Pro. The At Pro had so many issues and complaints when it was first released, if you recall. Arm cuffs breaking off, leaks, etc. I`ll never go back to Garrett after having two units that quit just after the warranty expired and a Pro Pointer that didn`t work after it arrived in the mail. Maybe it was just bad luck or lack of quality engineering on the part of Garrett. Once bitten twice shy as they say...but I was bitten three times by Garrett and don`t want to repeat that mistake again.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started out with an Ace 300, which was a good starter detector. I called Garrett Customer Service once and talked to a very "snotty" young lady who thought she was a technical advisor. That was the last Garrett detector I ever owned. Now, the people at White's can't be nice enough!! Huge difference in attitudes!!
It seems like the AT PRO fan club like to bash another newer detector that may be better than the At Pro. The At Pro had so many issues and complaints when it was first released, if you recall. Arm cuffs breaking off, leaks, etc. I`ll never go back to Garrett after having two units that quit just after the warranty expired and a Pro Pointer that didn`t work after it arrived in the mail. Maybe it was just bad luck or lack of quality engineering on the part of Garrett. Once bitten twice shy as they say...but I was bitten three times by Garrett and don`t want to repeat that mistake again.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems the fellow just asked for help and now it has changed to another topic. The ATpro went through its growing pains and survived with a very strong following. The Racer is having its growing pains and once it grows up it may also have a following but until it reaches puberty it is still a work in progress. Time will tell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions