Makro Racer

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HD leave it in preset for now..don't need to try and push the unit. If your going to hunt in three tone forget about the numbers for right now, listen to the tones and for now go for those sweet tones. If you have a test garden even better to learn what the unit is telling you.

I like two tone and when the unit hits you will know. For now just go with those sweet dig me signals. Mainly just get out with the unit...it's a easy unit to run and many like what they are seeing in the machine.

Just because use get a overload tone don't walk past it, raise the coil and see what the unit tells you. Other things you will pick up as time goes by. Iron infested sites with the OOR is an eye opener. Due to folks not being able to hunt these sites most targets are not deep...just masked by iron. You don't need a bunch of gain...when you go high on gain in these sites your over powering the unit and it will over amplify the trash close to a keeper. Lower is sometimes better in these cases. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
H-D 1

H-D 1

Dec 25, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer & Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks will do. I've played around with it a little and like what I'm seeing so far.

OP
OP
H-D 1

H-D 1

Dec 25, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the new feeling didn't last to long took it out for the maiden voyage today. As soon as it powers up the saturation alarm is going off. Looks like there is moisture in the coil.

Last edited:

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That make two now I've heard that a new unit giving overload right off the bat. If it is a coil you'll have no issues getting another one, the ones that had overload issues once the coil was swapped have been good to go from what I've read.

Interesting though.

OP
OP
H-D 1

H-D 1

Dec 25, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed the small cap that cover the access on the coil just didn't look right it popped right off and sure enough you could tell there has been moisture in it. It was a demo from a metal detector shop in Georgia so I'd say I'm screwed in getting any warranty.

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would get ahold of that shop before giving up. Good luck

OP
OP
H-D 1

H-D 1

Dec 25, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep can't hurt I sent a pm to Makro with ser# just a waiting game now.
Just sux all that time waiting and bam a kick to the face. Thank goodness I've still got the little delta 4000 as back up.

OP
OP
H-D 1

H-D 1

Dec 25, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arrangements have been made for the coil to return for warranty. Their customer service was very helpful and took care of everything for me.

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CS has been spoke about on many sites. Several other manufacturers could learn a great deal in this aspect. Glad to hear but not a surprise on taking care of you. Due to the weather in my area this is the time to do a little PMCS on the gear anyway lol

HH

OP
OP
H-D 1

H-D 1

Dec 25, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh god PMCS haven't heard that in a few years. But as we know it works and always will.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is the reason why I have held off buying a Racer....These coil problems have been ongoing for quite some time and according to Makro in a post I read, it was only a "handful" of detectors with these problems....This has been ongoing for months since the introduction and it should have been ironed out by now and instead of frustrating customers by having to wait for a new coil, maybe there should have been a recall on those detectors with faulty coils, if that could have been done...Their customer service seems to take care of the issue right away but still it seems like an ongoing issue with the Racer...I was a supporter of Makro but after seeing this yet again, my enthusiasm has diminished.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
H-D 1

H-D 1

Dec 25, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They also informed me that they have a new updated coil they are replacing it with. I was thinking about sealing it up myself with a little extra silicone around all the joints like I have in the past with other coil and companies.

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HD once you get the updated coil you'll be good to go.

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Newfie a lot of well known machines have had issues at first. We all know about the 75 at first, the at pro with a leak issue at first but from what I can tell its been taken care of and make for a great units. Don't let the coil issue with the Racer turn you away from the Racer. I hunted mainly with the 5" coil so never saw the issue others spoke of on my first one Racer till putting the stock coil on....sent to dealer for a upgraded one and have not looked back. A pleasure to use and have made some nice finds in some places no one wanted/could hunt, too include myself. Far more good things being posted than the coil issue which seems to have been taken care of.

Good luck on your decision either way and HH

OP
OP
H-D 1

H-D 1

Dec 25, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I'm not going to let it get me down. It was just a bummer had it and couldn't use it waited weeks looking at that box under the tree. Kinda done it to myself worked up over nothing. Ha ha

diggininms

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a racer, and had a coil problem. I contacted makro sent them a video and they mailed me a new upgraded coil. When its overloading go to beach mode then back it should stop. I think the coil cover brought on mine. I left it off and no problems with this one. The manual says nickels are 57-58. Ive found this not true. Most nickels ive found hit 54. Silver dimes hit dead 84 clad dimes bounce 84-85. On my machine. So far im liking this racer. Good luck with yours.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H-D 1

H-D 1

Dec 25, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My delta 4000 would get water between the coil and cover and would drive it crazy. So I always silicone the cover to the coil to help seal out the elements. As soon as I get my new coil I'm dealing it up also.

diggininms

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took my cover off and it still overloaded all the time.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread