Malfunctioning Pro-Pointer?

SkySgt

Jan 19, 2014
Cibolo, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX (PI) and Garrett Ace 350 (VLF) detectors.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Garrett Pro-Pointer seems to have a peculiar habbit. Quite often, when I am searching the ground for an object the Pro-pointer will seem to detect an object and start beeping and vibrating wildly, might I say even uncontrollably, and won't stop even when I hold it directly overhead away from any metal whatsoever. At that point, my only option is to recycle power.

This is very irritating and time consuming. Anyone have any ideas why it would be doing this?

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The exact same issue has happened twice with mine. Two trips back to Garrett and $30 solved my problem and put mine at the back of the line as far as which brand pin pointer goes to the field with me. The factory service is first class but you loose use time and the shipping cost.

OP
OP
SkySgt

SkySgt

Jan 19, 2014
Cibolo, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX (PI) and Garrett Ace 350 (VLF) detectors.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The exact same issue has happened twice with mine. Two trips back to Garrett and $30 solved my problem and put mine at the back of the line as far as which brand pin pointer goes to the field with me. The factory service is first class but you loose use time and the shipping cost.

I assume that your's wasn't under warranty? I received mine a t Christmas.

hostagedk

Feb 12, 2014
PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just ordered a Garret. I hope I don't tend to have this issue.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SkySgt, be sure and check your battery first before sending it back. Some of the Propointers will start to do that due to low voltage, by cycling off and on the problem disappears for awhile ( an early low battery warning). A new battery can sometimes make it go away. If it still does it after changing the battery, a trip to Garrett is necessary.

Wayne

Eddie Current

May 17, 2011
Flooorida
Detector(s) used
CTX /AT Pro / Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Propointer started doing the same thing last summer. I tried several remedies, such as adding a spacer in the battery cap and changing the batteries. Nothing helped so I sent it back (with the ATPro, which was also acting strange.) Garrett fixed the problem by giving me a new Propointer. I think they had a bad batch of Propointers. Hopefully the problems are fixed on both the detector and Propointer, as i am now out of warranty.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have two pro-POINTERS. This happened to my first, I assumed from really robust use, and I sent it in and they sent me a new one. I haven't notices the problem on the second unit or the new replacement.

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
happened to mine too, they are good when they work, but expect it to malfunction at some point.

Gerry M

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2014
Victoria, BC, Canada
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1220-X
Garrett Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The wires to the coil could be contacting components on the circuit board.

There have been many YouTube videos posted about this Garrett Pin-Pointer problem and how to fix it (if you want to take a crack at it yourself).

If it's still under warranty however, send it back and get a new one...

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought two Pro pointers at the same time. I have had problems with both of them, but one more often. I found that when the 9 volt battery gets around 7 volts is when I have the problem. I carry an extra battery just for this reason. I recently acquired a used Pro pointer for a friend of mine and I noticed that it vibrates harder then my other two and I used if for a little while and I didn't have any battery issues with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread