Malicious prank turns into golden opportunity

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Before heading out to our planned spots today, Bobbie wanted to stop by a school few miles from here that us and a few others detect on a regular basis,apparently some of our competition, planned on keeping either us busy or someone else busy digging scab pennies and other things from this playground that they had salted in there, this wasnt a few this was over 300 of them all no good , pitted, busted up just down right nasty looking. b They must have been feeling generous too, in addition to those nasty scabby pennies, there was 6 foreign coins, Bobbie found 4 and I found 2, bobbie also got 3 bad looking wheaties they had left, and a buffalo nickle, in rough shape but what the heck it is still a buffalo. Lastly and probabaly something they may not have realized they had planted for some poor unsuspecting other detectorist is a 14k miniature of a commemorative 50peso coin.
Well it didnt take Bobbie to long to dispatch with pulling all those little nasties up she is quite wicked with a sand scoop. And we were heading down the road to our planned day sites in no time. In addition to the above Bobbie found $17.57 including another of those new Washington Dollars,
I found $14.00 and some junk jewelry.
Finally I know this was a prank, but I think it was kind of mean spirited,
But then again I always believed what you put out you get back
hh
and congrats to all that got out
dave+bobbie

Attachments

• DSCF1733.JPG
    DSCF1733.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,503
  • DSCF1734.JPG
    DSCF1734.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,490
  • DSCF1736.JPG
    DSCF1736.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,504
  • DSCF1737.JPG
    DSCF1737.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,494
  • DSCF1741.JPG
    DSCF1741.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,472
  • DSCF1743.JPG
    DSCF1743.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,466
Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And so did you two leave 'em a thank you sign? ;D I'd love to find that gold and buffalo! :o

Nana ;)

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Cool digs you two, well done "cleaning up" after the planting, lol.
It's so nice that you pulled the sweet little gold coin from the pile, amazing and congrats!

Smiles!
BDoo

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Strange. :-\ ,

but you got the gold ;D

Must be tough having competition that would
do something like that. >:(

I can see someone now, salting my woods with
horseshoes :P

have a good un........
SHERMANVILLE

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow you guys did good ! wish someone would plant a hunt for me lol ;D

SaintSea

Feb 13, 2005
Central Florida
Really nice job, you guys - glad it turned out so well for you both (as always! :))...And in a similar vein: I hunted the Daytona Beach Shootout last weekend. It was fabulous; the organizers do an amazing job. This year some bastid thought it would be a good idea to drop bb's on the hunt field. It slows the contestants up quite a bit if he/she keeps getting a signal and the associated target continually slips through the scoop! Wasted time = fewer dug targets... yadda, yadda. It was just mean spirited. But, I'm sure the offenders will get their just rewards someday!
Ruth

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A penny saved is a penny earned. I'll dig 'um all day.

Good for you.
HH
Ken

OP
OP
dave-enc

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Thanks all, Ruth sorry to hear that someone did that at the shoot out that is pretty low, I always hear that it is a good time If I can ever talk bobbie into an organized hunt, I suspect that would be the one.
We actually saw our pranksters today bout 5 miles from the house coming out of the middle school, almost drove the car off the road telling bobbie there they were. Give her credit Bobbie didnt have me stop the car so she could "chat" with these individuals. We saw them bout 30mins later at one of the community parks. Guess they just have too much free time on their hands. We did get out for a while today but that will be in another post
hh
dave+bobbie

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sound's like a couple "maggott's" who don't have the MDing excellence you two have.....Elephant never forget's....Nice job on the gold!!!

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I think that gold coin might have been there before the planting..........if anything, the pranksters pretty much X'd out that spot altogether and made it just a little harder for you to find that coin..........but the joke is really on them. They literally kept you in the area. This is hilarious.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
So were the pennies and stuff on the surface?

I can see why you have competition with the finds that you guys have. We have some competition but on a pretty inconsistent basis.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You mean that stuff is salted deliberately? Here I thought the scabby pennies were just part of the natural scheme of things.

Oh well, I'll keep picking up whatever $ folks care to drop in front of me.

OP
OP
dave-enc

dave-enc

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Charlie we pick up scabby pennies all day long just not 300+ in an area probably 40X60. We generally detect there every 3 weeks or so its just close enough that we can start off there if we are heading in that direction. Mirage they we just either under the sand and some of bobbies were ontop of the sand. We are seeing more competition in this area, and we always like stopping and chatter whenever we see other detectorists but like I said We have a pretty good idea who these pranksters were. I would feel bad though if some one new had gotten into it and spent hours getting most of those things out only to realize once they got home probably 90% of them were unuseable. IM saving them and will probabaly turn them in at the end of the year with all our other cull coins.
hh
dave+bobbie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions