Mammoth Fossils Photos

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
I just thought you might like to see this. Last night in Vero experts discussed the fossil bone with carved mammoth on it. Thousands of people attended. Besides the presentation there were collections displayed and Dr. Hulbert from the Florida Natural History Museum examined fossils brought in by attendees and identified items. He identified the carnivore tooth I had in another post as being Dire Wolf.

But here is the photo. I took some videos with my flip cam and the photo came from that.

Attachments

• Video 12 0 00 05-26.jpg
    Video 12 0 00 05-26.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 365

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
So did they say the bone is legit? I overheard at an artifact (arrowhead) show, most of the people were saying bogus, they thought the carving looked like one from europe. So many opinions, hard to tell whose right. What did the experts say in person?

Big congrats on having a Dire tooth! that would make my day.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
IndianRiverSonrise said:
... Dr. Hulbert from the Florida Natural History Museum examined fossils brought in by attendees and identified items. He identified the carnivore tooth I had in another post as being Dire Wolf. ...
I am guessing that you are referring here to the upper carnassial with the two broken roots.

What did Hulbert say about the tooth that we had trouble with . . . the one I concluded was from a senile horse?

OP
OP
IndianRiverSonrise

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
Unfortunately I only took a couple. I thought there would probably be a limit on what you could ask about. I didn't want to hog the whole thing with all my questions. Anyhow, the old horse tooth is not one that I took. I regret not taking an entire box full now since some other people did and it was no problem.

Harry Pristis said:
IndianRiverSonrise said:
... Dr. Hulbert from the Florida Natural History Museum examined fossils brought in by attendees and identified items. He identified the carnivore tooth I had in another post as being Dire Wolf. ...
I am guessing that you are referring here to the upper carnassial with the two broken roots.

What did Hulbert say about the tooth that we had trouble with . . . the one I concluded was from a senile horse?

OP
OP
IndianRiverSonrise

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
Their conclusion is that it is legit. They had a materials sciences guy from the University of Florida that told how they tested it and the tests they used etc. Unfortunately I had to get up way early the next day and didn't get to hear all of his presentation.

naturegirl said:
So did they say the bone is legit? I overheard at an artifact (arrowhead) show, most of the people were saying bogus, they thought the carving looked like one from europe. So many opinions, hard to tell whose right. What did the experts say in person?

Big congrats on having a Dire tooth! that would make my day.

OP
OP
IndianRiverSonrise

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
Just found this link to an article about the carved bone.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2010/mar/04/scientists-urge-full-scale-excavation-of-vero/

IndianRiverSonrise said:
I just thought you might like to see this. Last night in Vero experts discussed the fossil bone with carved mammoth on it. Thousands of people attended. Besides the presentation there were collections displayed and Dr. Hulbert from the Florida Natural History Museum examined fossils brought in by attendees and identified items. He identified the carnivore tooth I had in another post as being Dire Wolf.

But here is the photo. I took some videos with my flip cam and the photo came from that.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks for the link, I hope they do get to excavate the site. It sounds very promising.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread