Mammoth question

sidmind

Nov 10, 2008
I was telling a friend at work about my Artifact hunting, and he asked me if I wanted a complete Mammoth(Mastodon?) skelaton,(that's not a question you expect everyday) He told me a story of his family finding a complete skeleton on their property back in the 70's and the state college came in a excavated it, made a cast and gave the original complete fossils back to the family, I guess it's been in a garage for years, and they have even been throwing away boxes of it from time to time. he said it took up a huge protion of the garage. I am not sure how much of it is still around. Should I be taking this off his hands? are only certain parts worth money? or if it's just a box of ribs or assorted bones remaining, could I still part it out and make some money? I did tell him to sale it on ebay, and he just shrugged and said he would toss it as he gets time.

I originally told him I was not interested, but have been reconsidering.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
It would certainly be a shame for the bones to be discarded and I am surprised other Oklahoma institutions are not interested in the bones. Did the owners contact any other Ok. institutions as they may not be aware the bones are available?

Otherwise you can be sure there are many Oklahoma collectors who would be more than happy to have one or more mammoth or mastodon bones from their home state.

11KBP

OP
OP
sidmind

sidmind

Nov 10, 2008
Sniffer Elf said:
they should try to find a institution to donate it to

I believe it sat at an institution for many years, and was given back to the family.

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Just found this thread,,,can you give an update on those bones...PM me any time, I check this site everyday...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread