mammoth tooth PIC ADDED FINALLY

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
My daughter and I found a woolly mammoth tooth last sept. after our local river ran bank full for a couple of days. We didn't have a clue what it was but brought it home and investigated it. It was a very rare find for northwest Missouri evidently. I look forward to coming back and checking out everyone elses finds and hopefully be able to post a few more of ours. We are definately hooked. Good hunting everyone.

Attachments

• Tooth.jpg
    Tooth.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 760

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: mammoth tooth

welcome to Treasure Net, & may you have a

Good experience with us, (sent pic's if possible).
We have found Columbian Mammoth ,( the small type) bones & teeth in our rivers in Eastern OK, also wolly Mammoth bones.
Fossis...................

lamplighter36

Jun 4, 2006
Cowtown, TX (DFW)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yes, yes....nice to hear! and do post a few pictures.

not uncommon here in FL, but rare enough to dream about. the fossil gods smiled on you that day. you and your daughter wanna take me to central fla?

ha ha!

congrats and welcome,
thomas

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pictures....PLEASE.............

teddyrobo

May 25, 2009
Northeast Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an amazing find. I am up in NE KS and I hear about people finding bison skulls along the Kansas River. But a mammoth tooth, that had to be very exciting! Thanks for welcoming onto the forums. :)

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
savant365 said:
My daughter and I found a woolly mammoth tooth last sept. after our local river ran bank full for a couple of days. We didn't have a clue what it was but brought it home and investigated it. It was a very rare find for northwest Missouri evidently. I look forward to coming back and checking out everyone elses finds and hopefully be able to post a few more of ours. We are definately hooked. Good hunting everyone.
Nice find! But, now you have a responsibility to protect this tooth.

More often than not, within a few months or even longer, the cementum that holds the enamel plates together will dry out. When the cementum dries out, it will shrink and the tooth will fall apart. This is the reason that you see so many partial mammoth teeth for sale, on eBay for example.

You can avoid this damage by "consolidating" the tooth -- using a thin solution of plastic to permeate and bind the cementum to the enamel. The easy-access consolidant is a solution of Duco Cement (colorless, model cement) in acetone. If you are comfortable with such a project, I can give you more-detailed instructions.

Otherwise, take the tooth to a local fossil collector or to your local museum for assistance. You'll be glad you did this consolidation.

OP
OP
savant365

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Harry Pristis said:
savant365 said:
Nice find! But, now you have a responsibility to protect this tooth.

More often than not, within a few months or even longer, the cementum that holds the enamel plates together will dry out. When the cementum dries out, it will shrink and the tooth will fall apart. This is the reason that you see so many partial mammoth teeth for sale, on eBay for example.

You can avoid this damage by "consolidating" the tooth -- using a thin solution of plastic to permeate and bind the cementum to the enamel. The easy-access consolidant is a solution of Duco Cement (colorless, model cement) in acetone. If you are comfortable with such a project, I can give you more-detailed instructions.

Otherwise, take the tooth to a local fossil collector or to your local museum for assistance. You'll be glad you did this consolidation.

It went directly to the university here in Maryville. There is a professor here that is writing a book on extinct species from Missouri, he was very glad to get it. It is well preserved, and documented.

teddyrobo said:
That is an amazing find. I am up in NE KS and I hear about people finding bison skulls along the Kansas River. But a mammoth tooth, that had to be very exciting! Thanks for welcoming onto the forums. :)

Thanks, I would love to find one of those skulls too. There was a mastadon skull found near a creek here a few years ago.

steve71 said:
nice find

Thanks Steve.

tompahpe

Nov 18, 2006
Found this in glacial till, Douglas County, KS. Took the photos with my camera phone so that's why the images are *slightly* out of focus. This weekend I can post better pics (digital camera battery died AGAIN) but can anyone recognize what this is? Could it be some kind of tooth?

Best Regards
JK

Attachments

• poss fossil tooth 1.jpg
    poss fossil tooth 1.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 609
  • poss fossil tooth 2.jpg
    poss fossil tooth 2.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 557

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
tompahpe said:
Found this in glacial till, Douglas County, KS. Took the photos with my camera phone so that's why the images are *slightly* out of focus. This weekend I can post better pics (digital camera battery died AGAIN) but can anyone recognize what this is? Could it be some kind of tooth?

Best Regards
JK
A rock from glacial till could be a wide variety of things; but, this doesn't resemble any tooth with which I am familiar. A better image might enable us to see what you see.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread