Man claims treasure found on Google Earth

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
You will feel palpitations in the deeper part of your
throat to discover that this has all ended up in court.
Mr. Smith's lawyers believe that the land beneath
which the ship is submerged is navigable waterway.
If they're right, U.S. law says the first person to find
abandoned treasure gets first dibs on the spoils.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-10161265-71.html

all have a good un...
SHERMANVILLE

S

seger98

I always believed in "finders keepers"! If I didn't, I guess I'd have to turn over all of my artifacts over to someone!

jeric2

May 29, 2003
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
you can find the area pretty easily on google earth if you type in Refugio Texas and match the pic in the article. I don't see anything that resembles a ship

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
seger98 said:
I always believed in "finders keepers"! If I didn't, I guess I'd have to turn over all of my artifacts over to someone!
I am pretty sure that most Texans may have a different view of strangers wandering onto their property :pain10: :violent1:
Dan

Kieth-Tx

Jun 5, 2006
Victoria & Corpus Christi Texas
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tejon, 1270, Stingray II & CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drive by that spot twice a week. From google earth...it does resemble the outline of a ship buuut......it is HUGE! There is no way a ship that size was able to get into that shallow bay. To get from the gulf it would have had to cross 2 other shallow bays...the guy is full of hot air...looking for his 15 minutes of fame. Now the 2 biggest problems lay ahead even IF it is. That land owner...O'Conners....are territorial and will fight to keep them off their property even though I think it's on tide land. Bigger problem? State of Texas AND Mexico will lay claim to everything they find.
Kieth

Terrafisher

Nov 2, 2008
Spring, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Updates from the Houston Chronicle:

Nathan Smith lost his case, but still plans to appeal-

December 2008: Background - http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/side/6186388.html

April 2009: Case Lost - http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/metro/6395001.html

Wonder if the land owners are going to jump on it now?

I was also surprised that the judge denied the Texas Historical Commission's claim on it too!
(I wonder if this means there may still be hope for treasure hunters and metal detectors in Texas?)

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TxGC.

What he sees at the coordinates given in the court documents cannot be a ship-its way too big. i think the O'Conners are smarter than that

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread