Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm. Do I want to be transferred to another site that might be a blog? It looks like the headline is a trap. Who did he steal it from, and why did he need a detector? Did the owner bury it so that he could dig it up later?

A conundrum! I think I will just wait for some other brave fella to look at the " site" and offer a synopsis. If his computer wasn't ravaged, lol

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I really had to laugh at this situation that has been created. It’s like having Fort Knox set up in various locations with no guards. I agree with the poster that said that coin would probably never been found if this person didn’t find it.
Why don’t these trusts license detectorist to bring this rich history to the surface instead of keeping it vailed?
Frank five star.png
111-2 700 head of old man.jpg

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Well said frankn . I noticed the repeated uses of the words "stole ", "stolen ", etc... But it's sort of strange when you think of it: The object didn't even exist till someone brought it to the light of day .

Perhaps that's the technical legal status . But if that coin had been on the property owner's night-stand , somehow we all know the difference between THAT , versus an unknown coin in the ground .

OldNorthwest

Sep 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Minelab Exporer SE
The problem is that he didn't have permission. They take that seriously in England since nighthawkers destroy archaeological sites by failing to report important finds. Say I just went to Monticello and dug up an old coin - does that mean it's forgiven just because they wouldn't have found it otherwise?

In a lot of European countries, it's almost impossible to metal detect historical sites because of the strict laws enacted. England has very reasonable laws regarding detecting, so when people like this break it, they deserve what's coming to them. They ruin it for people who actually do it right.

OP
OP
John Winter

John Winter

Aug 23, 2014
England
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The problem is that he didn't have permission. They take that seriously in England since nighthawkers destroy archaeological sites by failing to report important finds. Say I just went to Monticello and dug up an old coin - does that mean it's forgiven just because they wouldn't have found it otherwise?

In a lot of European countries, it's almost impossible to metal detect historical sites because of the strict laws enacted. England has very reasonable laws regarding detecting, so when people like this break it, they deserve what's coming to them. They ruin it for people who actually do it right.
Thank you for a sensible response to the press release I originally posted. I hoped that members on here might be interested to see what was going on over the Pond. I was surprised by some of the comments, especially those questioning by own integrity.

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scatches head, feels my birthright has been stolen.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only assume he was caught coming of the site at night, with said Gold coin on his possession :icon_scratch: otherwise the only thing they could have charged him with would be going equipped to steal with a metal detector, trespassing which is a civil mater, unless damage has been done, IE damage to crops.

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread